Nostalgia & History > Stamp Books - D&H Rwy question

Date: 06/01/23 06:06
Stamp Books - D&H Rwy question
Author: train1275

D&H and D&H / Napierville Jct.
Two books

One is an excess valuation - 30 Cents
2nd one is a plain cover book of stamps - 75 cents Baggage Service

I believe Gillooley was General Passenger Agent of D&H circa 1940's - 50's era but haven't looked it up yet.

Curious as to just what these were used for, and how. Anyone know or have experience with them ?

Thanks for any info.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/23 06:07 by train1275.

Date: 06/06/23 19:52
Re: Stamp Books - D&H Rwy question
Author: moonliter

Wow, I can't believe no one here has answer to your question.  I have no idea but am very interested to find out what they are.  Thanks for posting.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 06/12/23 06:42
Author: colehour

moonliter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, I can't believe no one here has answer to
> your question.  I have no idea but am very
> interested to find out what they are. 

I don't have a definitive answer, but would the 30 cent stamps have been used when checking baggage that was valued above the insured value limit? Also, it appears that there may have been a charge for checking a bag, hence the 75 cent stamps. Perhaps the stamps would be affixed to the passenger's ticket with a duplicate on the bag. I never checked a bag in pre-Amtrak days, so I don't know what the procedure would have been.

I hope that someone who has a definitive answer checks in. 

Date: 06/12/23 07:44
Author: ts1457

This is a guess, 

I think the thirty cent excess value is script. The conductor would give out the coupons in making change for cash fares. Keeps the conductor from having to carry a lot of change and reduces the opportunity for theft.

The conductor probably had several excess value books in other amounts.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0278 seconds