Home Open Account Help 382 users online

Nostalgia & History > 44 vs 45 Ton

Date: 12/19/03 13:05
44 vs 45 Ton
Author: prionw

If I understand things right, the "44-tonner" became a standard of sorts because the regulations required a two-man crew for anything over 90,000 lbs (or some such "expensive" restriction). What I'm curious about, though, is I see a lot of postings and pictures of 45-ton locos. Are these really 45-tons? We're they manufarctured before the regulation took effect or inspite of the regulation? Also, were there many manufacturers and models of 44-ton locos?

Thanks,

WP

Date: 12/19/03 13:46
Re: 44 vs 45 Ton
Author: MTMEngineer

There is actually a difference. 44 tonners have only one cab seat, and 45 tonners have a slightly longer frame permitting a walkway next to each radiator. Now, having said that, I'm sure we'll hear about the exceptions to that general description.

Date: 12/19/03 14:09
Author: supt

no expert but I believe the regulation only applied to common carriers. GE marketed the 44 tonners to common carriers as a way to reduce cost and get into the market as they were mostly used on light branchlines. The 45 and 50 ton models were sold primarily to industries that did there own swicthing and were exempt from the regulation. The regulation may not have been an FRA reg but a binding Union agreement. I not sure. The other difference is most of the 45 and 50 ton models only had two traction motors with a mechanaical drive to the other axle, and were reduced to slow speed with heavy gear reduction. The 44 tonners were set full electrical B-B and could make 40 MPH. I hope this helps. In the larger locomotives I believe plymouth marketed a few but and baldwin was in this size but I not sure about davenport.

Date: 12/19/03 18:49
Author: vcrail

The 45 Ton loco we have in Redwood City has a sign on the control stand that says do not operate over 20 miles per hour. It also has only one seat.

Date: 12/21/03 06:39
Author: RJMarx

There was no regulation that mandated a two-man crew for locomotives having over 90,000 pouinds of weight on drivers. What you think was a regulation was actually a labor agreement known as the 1944 Diesel Agreement, which mandated a fireman on every locomotive other than steam exceeding that limit. Before you get too cranked up over the "featherbedding" issues, remember that the advent of the diesel-electric locomotive did much more than eliminate the need for firemen, it also radically reduced the number of train miles needed to move the same amount of tonnage, because trains could be so much heavier and longer, greatly reducing work opportunities for all operating employees, and decimated the ranks of the shopcrafts. Remember that this was happening when many folks were just getting to work for the first time after over ten years of the great depression. Nothing happens in a vacuum, except in outer space.

Date: 12/24/03 07:14
Author: NYCSTL8

In the Spring of 1961, I had a delightful ride in the cab of a side-rodded 45-Tonner. I pulled int o Ferdinand, IN, just as the 1-man crew of the Ferdinand R.R. was prepping the little loco for the day's run. We coupled up to 2 boxcars of furniture billed to Kansas City, charged the train line, and were off for the Southern interchange at Huntingburg. Rocking and rolling along we went, making every bit of 50 mph--10 forward, 20 side-to-side and another 20 up-and-down over the 65 lb. rail, air horn wailing away at each crossing. That engine had two seats, as I rode the one opposite the hogger, but time has dulled my memory of the control stand arrangement. In H-burg we swapped the loads for 2 empty boxes, and trundled back home. Today, the "Ferdy" is gone, making the memory of that lovely Spring morning in rural Indiana all the more poignant.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds