Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > Yosemite Valley Railway

Date: 03/02/04 15:13
Yosemite Valley Railway
Author: SierraRail

Found this photo of Yosemite Valley #28 in my files. Location is Merced, Calif. Photographer unknown and date unknown.

Date: 03/02/04 16:47
Re: Yosemite Valley Railway
Author: MTMEngineer

SOMEBODY liked air pumps!

Date: 03/02/04 19:43
Re air pumps
Author: jbwest

Why the duplicate pumps?

Date: 03/02/04 20:00
Re: Re air pumps
Author: Nitehostler

Single-phase compressors usually do not have the capacity that the 8 1/2" cross-compounds do, but they are simpler to work on. There is the added luxury of having a spare too in case one fails on the road. Some roads liked it this way. That's why you'll frequently see a pair of single-phase compressors on a locomotive where you'd usually see just one cross-compound.
Look at pics of smaller NdeM power & other roads in Mexico & you'll see quite a few of them have a pair of single-phase compressors.

Date: 03/02/04 21:32
Author: MTMEngineer

Nitehostler, this engine has FOUR 11" air pumps!

Date: 03/03/04 00:35
Author: Ed_Gyptian

Maybe because it's all downhill from El Portal to Merced? and they didn't want to sit around all day waiting for 2 pumps to get the air back. Lot's of big steam had pairs of cross compounds.

Date: 03/03/04 08:03
Author: Nitehostler

MTMEngineer...
I sure missed that one & have no other good answer for this oddity other than what was posted here. Very strange indeed.
I did look through Hank Johnston's book on the YV this morning & engines 28 and 29 are the only ones that I can see having 4 compressors. Some photos show engine 29 with 2 and others with 4 compressors. Most of their power had the pumps mounted on the firemans' side of the boiler, but some were pilot-mounted too.
I can only guess that their thinking was to use a pair of them at a time, leaving the other pair as back-ups. If these were as big as 11", they would consume a large amount of steam compared to what most roads would be using, cross-compounds.
Very strange.

Date: 03/19/04 20:53
Author: grumpadoo

A couple of years ago I took a picture of ex-YV 29 on display in Veracruz, Mexico. All traces of the airpumps on the pilot beam had vanished, and I asked Jack Burgess about their absence when I sent him a print. He said the extra pumps on the pilot were to supply air to air-operated side-dump cars during the big line relocation for the dam construction, late 20's/early 30's, and were removed about 1940; five years before the YV was abandoned. Regards, Arturo

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds