Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Nostalgia & History > Southern RR Southern Crescent Passenger car types

Date: 12/26/04 20:02
Southern RR Southern Crescent Passenger car types
Author: randyr

Folks:

I rode the Southern Crescent in December 1976 DC-Atlanta round trip. I am now trying to model the train and others I rode on my All Aboard America Rail Trip. Anyway, does anyone have a general idea of the type/builder of cars used at that time period. It was still a Southern operation. I remember the four E units, and it had a combine, but my pictures are not much help with who was the builder of the passenger cars. I do remember seeing a couple Amtrak cars mixed in on the return trip.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Randy in PHX

Date: 12/27/04 06:00
Re: Southern RR Southern Crescent Passenger car types
Author: johnacraft

In 1976, the "Southern Crescent" was a daily (overnight) train between Washington and Atlanta, and a tri-weekly (daytime) train between Atlanta and New Orleans. On days that the train continued south from Atlanta, it was switched there.

Power was four E8s, and in 1975-1976 they had red panels on the sides honoring signers of the Declaration of Independence from states that Southern served.

Cars were from the 1949 and 1950 Pullman Standard orders that provided equipment for the Southerner, the Crescent, and the Royal Palm. (There is a book available that details pretty much every P-S streamlined car order, which would be a good resource.)

Exceptions to this all P-S consist were the ex-Wabash dome (painted the same dark green as Southern's office cars) and the New York - New Orleans - Los Angeles sleeper (the Amtrak car you remember).

In 1970 (the closest timetable I have), the consist is listed as follows:

The combine, which provided unreserved coach seating.
Dining car.
Tavern Lounge, Washington - Atlanta only.
Reclining Seat coaches - 3 south, 4 north. (52-seat, 800-series)
Sleeping Cars - 2 10-6, 1 11 double-bedroom. 1 - 1 double bedroom, 1 master bedroom, 2 shower, buffet-lounge.

One of the 10-6 cars would be a PRR / PC / Amtrak car going to-from Los Angeles. The dome was added after the CofG got rid of its trains in 1971. So a standard consist would be 11-12 cars in 1976, which sounds about right (I grew up on the Atlanta - New Orleans main, and saw the train regularly).

JAC

http://southern.railfan.net/ties/1972/72-7/cres.html

"In 1949, a shining stainless steel "Crescent" was delivered by Pullman Standard. This new streamliner provided the latest in modern, comfortable, safe all-weather transportation. A worthy successor to its famed predecessors, the train offered accommodations to meet every travel need. Five kinds of private rooms were available -roomettes; bedrooms (singly and en suite) ; drawing rooms, the only master room in the South, complete with private shower and radio; and deluxe reclining-seat coaches were operated between Atlanta and New Orleans over the Atlanta and West Point and Louisville and Nashville lines.

In 1970 the "Crescent," which had operated as train Nos. 37 and 38, began to operate as Nos. 1 and 2. The train was consolidated with the "Southerner" and renamed the "Southern Crescent." The train offers dining car service between Washington and New Orleans and reserved reclining seat coaches and sleeping cars between New York and New Orleans.

Since 1958 the engines of Southern's premier train had been black and white. But early in 1972, the president of Southern, W. Graham Claytor, Jr., had the engines repainted in the green and gold colors of one of their proud ancestors."

Date: 12/27/04 06:10
Author: johnacraft

As is typical, as soon as I hit the "post" button I remembered one more thing.

The October 1974 "Trains" magazine has an article about Southern's passenger service by Don Phillips. I lists an equipment roster, and provides this consist for the May 23, 1974 southbound train:

4 E8s,
baggage-dorm 710,
5 800-series coaches,
4 sleepers,
diner.

Where's the dome? It was used only on the Atlanta - New Orleans train because it wouldn't clear the tunnel into Washington Union Station.

JAC

Date: 12/27/04 06:13
Author: bnsfbob

See:

http://southern.railfan.net/images/archive/southern/passenger/passenger.html

Consist of the Southern Crescent Train No 2, Washington D.C. 7/6/74

FIRST SECTION:

6913 E8A
6902 E8A
710 Bag Dorm
665 54s coach
817, 844 52 seat coach
3308 44s Diner
2005, 2017 10R/6DB Flint River, Tiger River
4421 Amtrak 44s coach

SECOND SECTION:

6907, 6906, 6916, 6901 E8A
1033 52s coach DH
662 56s coach DH
711 Bag Dorm
827, 823 52s coach
661 56s coach
834, 832,820,837,826 52s coach
3309 44s Diner
3402 10R/6DB Coosa River
2619 10R/6DB Amtrak Pacific Meadow
2301 11DB Royal Court
2352 1MR, 2DB Buffet Lounge Crescent Moon

Source: Wayner's Passenger Train Consists of the 1970's.

Diners and Coaches generally built by Budd 1949. Sleepers generally built by Pullman Standard 1949. The Amtrak coach on the 1st section was probably added at WAS to run up the corridor to NYP. The Amtrak 10/6 on the 2nd section was probably the through car on the Sunset LAX-NOL.

Bob

Date: 12/27/04 06:43
Author: ts1457

You should be able to build most of the train (at least if you are in HO) with offerings from NKP Car:

http://www.nkpcarco.com/sou_cars.htm

Date: 12/27/04 14:46
Author: randyr

Thank you very much for your help and comments. The train I rode terminated in Atlanta, as an SW type switcher pulled it away after everyone got off. The evening train that night, returning to Wash DC I think came in from New Orleans.

Thanks again for all your responses.

Randy in PHX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0626 seconds