Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Nostalgia & History > Maersk photo train

Date: 01/10/05 10:54
Maersk photo train
Author: GreenFlag

On August 13, 1990 a special Maersk train was run for the purpose of filming a commercial(if I remember correctly). The photo shows it waiting to depart Victorville, CA and it will run over Cajon Pass to San Bernardino. It had new GP60M's on each end, one in a special Maersk scheme.
Anyone know how long it lasted in that scheme?

Date: 01/10/05 11:22
Re: Maersk photo train
Author: Grande-Fan

According to the lastest issue of The Warbonnet, it was repainted just a few days after the shoot was over.
Nathan Z.

Date: 01/10/05 11:28
Author: eashock

NS also re-painted one of its units into a Maersk livery. SD40-2 3329 still has the paint, too. Last I heard it was in Bellvue, Ohio.

-Eric Shock

Date: 01/10/05 12:12
Author: kevink

I'd have to look at my notes from that year to be sure but I think it stayed in the Maersk paint at least until Labor Day weekend of 1990. It made at least one round trip to Chicago during this time and I saw it on a train headed west at McCook, IL. IIRC, I was home from college for Labor Day weekend that year.

Date: 01/10/05 12:35
Author: santa-fe-steam

There were of course two different times when equipment was painted up in Maersk colors. This 1990 photo op in Cajon Pass and the 2003 grand opening at the new Maersk facility on Terminal Island. An F45 or similar cowl unit and an SD40 did the honors at the more recent event.

Date: 01/10/05 13:13
Author: JimBaker

I saw the train inbound to Los Angeles on the Pasadena Subdivision at Arcadia on the morning after the shoot.
Of course I had no camera at the time. I was driving on the 210 freeway heading for a trip up the coast with the family. Paced it for a few miles before it dropped behind and traffic pushed me on.

It was a pretty sight, to be sure. Clean as a whistle!

Jim Baker, Whittier, CA

Date: 01/10/05 13:23
Author: HUSKERHERB

Great image!

As I recall, the Maersk trainset headed eastbound from San Bernadino in the morning prior to filming up and around Sullivan's Curve with the Maersk-painted unit in the lead and the red/silver warbonnet unit on the opposite end. Either the #140 or #144 comes to mind. Is your image from the same day?

Date: 01/10/05 13:28
Author: HUSKERHERB

Jim, I was out there that same morning in the San Dimas area as well as at the Pasadena Depot.I believe what you saw was the inbound trip of the #146 prior to the filming in Cajon Pass. The #146 was buried several units back.

Date: 01/10/05 15:46
Author: Castle_Romeo

GreenFlag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On August 13, 1990 a special Maersk train was run
> for the purpose of filming a commercial(if I
> remember correctly). The photo shows it waiting to
> depart Victorville, CA and it will run over Cajon
> Pass to San Bernardino. It had new GP60M's on each
> end, one in a special Maersk scheme.
> Anyone know how long it lasted in that scheme?
>

AWESOME PICTURE!
Do you have any more pics of this unit?

Date: 01/10/05 20:17
Author: GreenFlag

Thanks for the comments and replies. I have several other photos of the train descending Cajon Pass and also of the new red & silver GP60M that was on the other end that day. I remember a helicopter was doing some, if not all of the filming when it was in Cajon. Also, if I remember correctly, I had heard at the time that the commercial being filmed wouldn't even be shown in the US.
It will be at least a week or so before I can post the other photos as I need to use a friend of mine's scanner to make the scans. I look forward to getting one of those Nikon Coolscans myself soon!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds