Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Nostalgia & History > NWP electrics

Date: 02/27/05 23:51
NWP electrics
Author: stash

Watch out for that third rail. An NWP train at Larkspur, Calif. in Marin county. Rapid transit ahead of its time.

Date: 02/27/05 23:51
Re: NWP electrics

If you visit the former right of way today, some buildings still exist from NWP.

Date: 02/27/05 23:53

The Baltimore Park substation at Larkspur. Last electric trains would have been in 1941, I believe. Last trains pulled by SP 1000 were when, gang?

Date: 02/27/05 23:56

One more contemporary shot at Baltimore Park where you can easily see the junction. Straight ahead to San Anselmo; diverging route for Greenbrae. Trench to the left of those NWP tourists was for interlocking rods from the tower. Platforms remain in 2005 in and near Fairfax although the trackway is now a paved boulevard.

Date: 02/28/05 05:31
Author: spnudge

I spent some years in Marin. I remember having to run during PE at Redwood High and we would leave the gym, go to the tracks, down to Lucky Drive and back. There was only one track left then that went to Sausalto, but every 3rd tie was a long one and you could see where the 3rd rail was attached. Drove my motorcycle through the Corta Madera Tunnel once, following the Horse Shoe Job.

Glad to see some right of way is still left. I am surprised the sub station still stands. There was one in San Anselmo, of brick but that was torn down in the early 60s. When they tore down the depot there, it was used by Greyhound, I got the telegraph patch board and an old NWP Ferry poster out of the mess before they carted it away.

Thanks for the pics.

Nudge

Date: 02/28/05 11:47
Author: RD10747

Thanks Stash--In 1937, my Aunt lived in E. Oakland on 73rd Ave...up hill from the Chevy Plant. We would walk down hill to the SP Red Train for the Mole...Ferry to San Fran, thence ferry to Sausalito. Board an NWP 'orange train' for Mill Valley and on to Muir Woods. Of couse we had our picnic baskets...I was 9 years old then. Later on, had to walk to Havenscourt for bridge train letter -A-....

Date: 02/28/05 11:50

Agt-Highland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Stash--In 1937, my Aunt lived in E. Oakland
> on 73rd Ave...up hill from the Chevy Plant. We
> would walk down hill to the SP Red Train for the
> Mole...Ferry to San Fran, thence ferry to
> Sausalito. Board an NWP 'orange train' for Mill
> Valley and on to Muir Woods. Of couse we had our
> picnic baskets...I was 9 years old then. Later
> on, had to walk to Havenscourt for bridge train
> letter -A-....

Great memory. How did you get between MIll Valley and Muir Woods?

Date: 02/28/05 12:24
Author: wharfrat

I've been told Fairfax Lumber took cars into the early 60's. Some old timer would know for sure.

Date: 02/28/05 19:15
Author: joemagruder

Last trains were sometime in late 1970 or 1971. (I have a slide of SP 1128 at Sausalito on October 21, 1970. I can't recall if that was the last train. I also have a slide of the new end of track at Handi-Cup from December 1971. Should have kept better notes!)

Date: 02/28/05 21:11
Author: Rockford

Orange Empire Rail Museum has PE car Number 314. This was a former NWP Electric. The number I do not know. It does see operation on a very limited basis. The cars were similar to the IER except for the weight and the third rail pick up.

Date: 03/01/05 11:25
Author: spnudge

Mt. Tam & Muir Woods Railroad.

Date: 03/01/05 11:39
Author: RD10747

Seenm there was a motor bus..I remember out on the front bumper, there were shock absorbers..kind of like the old Pickwick Stage models. On week ends they met the 3rd rail Juice jobs....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds