Home Open Account Help 175 users online

Nostalgia & History > Anybody remember Utah's Carbon Co. RR?

Date: 03/19/05 10:54
Anybody remember Utah's Carbon Co. RR?
Author: the_expediter

These shots were taken in early summer of 1980. The Carbon County RR had 11 miles of track (according to my Oct. 1969 Official Guide) and ran from Columbia Jct. (NE of Mounds, UT) to the Geneva Mine. It would connect with the D&GRW at Columbia Jct. Maybe Mr. James Belmont can share more info on this little RR that could. Anyway, hope you enjoy these shots, the only time I ever shot this RR.

Date: 03/19/05 10:56
Re: Anybody remember Utah's Carbon Co. RR?

What kind of units are these?

Date: 03/19/05 10:58

taken with my monster 400mm...

Date: 03/19/05 11:07

Work it, baby...

Date: 03/19/05 11:10
Author: jdmero

I thinks they are SW9
jd

Date: 03/19/05 11:38

Cruising along...

Date: 03/19/05 12:17
Author: MRSLIDES

Carbon County's 2 EMDs were SW1200s.

John Benson

http://www.bensonrailphotos.com

Date: 03/19/05 17:58
Author: GrandeGold

Steve,

It's my understanding that Carbon County shut down in 1983 when the Horse Canyon coal mine played out. The switch to the D&RGW Sunnyside Branch at Columbia Junction is now gone and so is the old Horse Canyon mine complex. Most all of the 11 mile CC railroad is still intact, although very weed grown. One of Carbon County's cabooses is preserved in a park in East Carbon City. The CC brick depot and steel shop buildings north of Columbia City still exist. I don't know what became of the two SW1200's. Perhaps Ryan Ballard could chime in...

James

Date: 03/19/05 18:47
Author: NH2006

They had a good discussion of this railroad on the DRGW list at yhoogroups recently, we gotta get you on there too, Expiditer!

Date: 03/19/05 23:02
Author: balryan

Carbon County's two SW's ended up working at the steel mill as numbers 43 and 44 if I rember right not sure were they are at present.
Ryan Ballard

Date: 03/20/05 07:35
Author: CShaveRR

I had thought that the Carbon County had shut down most of its operations well before 1983. Apparently not, though, as William D. Edson's book on railroad names shows it still active as of 1982. Those hoppers went to the EJ&E (perhaps among other places), and I'm sure that that happened sometime in the 1970s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds