Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Nostalgia & History > The Owl and the San Joaquin

Date: 03/29/05 20:44
The Owl and the San Joaquin
Author: stash

Both trains served the San Joaquin Valley, but on different routes. Here we see a double-headed Owl from Los Angeles at Oakland.

Date: 03/29/05 20:45
Re: The Owl and the San Joaquin

When passenger service was gone from San Joaquin Valley rails, Amtrak reinvented it. Here's an early day San Joaquin at 16th Street.

Date: 03/30/05 11:16
Author: pecosvalleychief

I didn't realize the Owl and SJ ran different routes, can you edumacate me Mr.stash?

Date: 03/30/05 11:30

pecosvalleychief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't realize the Owl and SJ ran different
> routes, can you edumacate me Mr.stash?

Basically, the Owl was an SP train that ran from Oakland via Martinez, Tracy, Los Banos, Fresno, Mojave and LA. The West Valley track thru Los Banos is no longer a through route and sections it are operated by shortlines.

Amtrak's San Joaquin (now consisting of numerous trains) runs from Oakland via Martinez, Stockton, Fresno to Bakersfield. Once east of Martinez (actually at Port Chicago) is moves from UP to BNSF rails and continues on BNSF for the remainder of the trip to Bakersfield.

Before Amtrak, there was also the SP San Joaquin Daylight from Oakland via Martinez, Tracy, Lathrop, Fresno, Mojave and to LA. Amtrak chose the BNSF Valley Div. track for running over the ex-SP (now UP) line.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0256 seconds