Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Nostalgia & History > Howsa about some more Katy?

Date: 07/18/05 22:34
Howsa about some more Katy?
Author: xtra1188w

I used to go down to the Katy freight house in downtown Austin Texas every sunday afternoon after church and see what the Katy had left for the local's work to be performed on a monday morning. There wasn't anyone around, and I could take all the pictures that I wanted to, and nobody cared one way or the other. I believe that this image dates from November 2, 1975.

Con

Date: 07/18/05 22:38
Re: Howsa about some more Katy?

Nov. 2, 1975 Here's another from that now distant seeming sunday afternoon. Has it really been thirty years? Yeah, I guess that it has. It's been a long time since there were any red and white Katy Geeps.

Con

Date: 07/18/05 22:44

As far as the Katy freight house seen in these images goes, it used to be rumored that this structure had started its life as a higher quality "house of ill-repute". It had been acquired by Miss Katy after the original freight depot burned down many, many moons ago, and the former cat house was converted into a freight depot. Could be, that bay window never did face the tracks, straight on.

Con

Date: 07/19/05 19:33
Author: TopcoatSmith

Aw man, you're killing me ! The Roundhouse Gang in Redlands (CA) built the KATY Austin yard and associated trackage, I laid the track and was doing other "stuff" when we dismanteld it cuz the woodwork wasn't up to code and Austin had a severe sag in three places. 7 months of work torn down in less than 30 minutes.
Nice pics though, now I know what it could have looked like.

TCS - south tomato springs local

Date: 01/10/17 04:04
Author: rrpreservation

Great shots! Thanks for sharing these.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds