Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Canadian Railroads > Hotel in Montreal

Date: 01/09/10 17:12
Hotel in Montreal
Author: gulf

My wife and I are spending a couple of nights in Montreal this summer. We will be arriving on Amtrak. Just wondering, if the hotel above the Montreal station, is a good value. It sure would be convenient to catch via, up to Halifax, after a short stay in Montreal.

Date: 01/09/10 17:58
Re: Hotel in Montreal
Author: DrawingroomA

That hotel is the Queen Elizabeth, originally a CN hotel, later a CP and now a Fairmont. The rates, as with all hotels, vary considerably. I think it is good value (and couldn't be more convenient for rail travellers) but some find it too pricey.

Date: 01/09/10 18:34
Author: eminence_grise

The Hotel Bonaventure (Hilton?) is across the street from Central Station, and some rooms overlook the tracks. The Marriot Chateau Champlain is a block and a half west and is the former CP hotel built in the 1960's.

The Queen Elizabeth is an undistinguished 1960's building, but has some good rooms. A room on the 6th floor is where John Lennon and Yoko Ono staged their "Give Peace a Chance" sit in. The "Beaver Club" restaurant traces its origins back a couple of centuries as a club. Being very close to both the CN and CP headquarters, at one time you could see the railroad bosses holding court over a liesurely lunch. With ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation) half a block away, my guess is that airline CEO's probably hung out at the Beaver Club also. It is in the Queen Elizabeth Hotel also, and not always "by invitation only"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/10 18:36 by eminence_grise.

Date: 01/09/10 19:42
Author: cn6218

I've stayed at the Queen Elizabeth a few times, and thought it was good value for the money. I was getting my employer's corporate rate of a bit over $100/night, but the location can't be beat. My one complaint is that their idea of "complimentary" luggage check between checkout time and the Ocean leaving is $3 per bag. That's not really all that unreasonable, but when you're expecting free...

GTD

Date: 01/10/10 05:50
Author: ghCBNS

My choice would be the Hilton Bonaventure……across the street from Central Station but still connected by inside passage through Place Bonaventure.

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/YULBHHF-Hilton-Montreal-Bonaventure-Quebec/photoGallery.do

Ask for an outside south facing room that’s directly above the viaduct approach to Central Station……

Date: 01/10/10 07:48
Author: Lackawanna484

I stayed at the Bonaventure a few years ago, and got a viaduct facing room.

Great views, but I think the hotel section starts on the 10th floor, and goes up from there

Date: 01/10/10 10:04
Author: gulf

Thank you for the replys. Looking forward to our visit to our northern neighbors. Thanks again!

Date: 01/10/10 17:27
Author: TonyJ

My vote also goes to the Queeen Elizabeth. My wife and I stayed there in 2002 and it sure is convenient. Of course, she also liked the variety of shops and food establishments down below at station level. - Tony J.

Date: 01/10/10 20:09
Author: jp1822

The Fairmont (which I believe is referred to above as the Queen Elizabeth) would be my choice, as it is really convenient to the station and what not. You can leave luggage at the Fairmont or down with VIA (in the morning for example for an evening departure on the Ocean). The restaurants in here are pretty good - I always like to get a window seat. It's on the first floor but at least you get to see what's happening out on the streets of Montreal!

If you are taking the Ocean out to Halifax, I would see if you could book the "Touring Class" so you have access to the Park Car, operating seasonally from about late May to September - or something of this time frame. One can feel a little "couped" up with just being in the Renaissance sleeper. Without touring class you just have the Renaissance "Service Car" (horrible setup for a lounge) and Diner (VIA did do a fairly descent job in designing this car). But having access to the Park Car on this train really makes a HUGE difference!!!

At the other end - in Halifax - my choice would be the hotel that is right at the VIA Rail Station. I believe the Hotel is part of the "Starwood Hotel" family. Rates here I thought were pretty reasonable - but ask for a waterfront room (on an upper floor).

Date: 01/10/10 22:27
Author: nonamemal

In Montreal, I have always enjoyed staying at the Marriott. Even in the middle of winter, you can make it into the lobby, via elevator, from the subway tunnel below. A short walk from Central Station, all under ground.
It's also my opinion that the Marriott rates are better.
Mike
PS: While waiting at Central Station for your next train, try taking lunch at the Deli Planet.

Date: 01/11/10 06:38
Author: DrawingroomA

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Fairmont (which I believe is referred to above
> as the Queen Elizabeth) would be my choice, as it
> is really convenient to the station and what not.
> You can leave luggage at the Fairmont or down with
> VIA (in the morning for example for an evening
> departure on the Ocean).

>
> At the other end - in Halifax - my choice would be
> the hotel that is right at the VIA Rail Station. I
> believe the Hotel is part of the "Starwood Hotel"
> family. Rates here I thought were pretty
> reasonable - but ask for a waterfront room (on an
> upper floor).

If you ask a Montrealer to point out the Fairmont they likely won't know what you mean. The hotel is called "Fairmont The Queen Elizabeth/le Reine Elizabeth." Fairmont is the managing company and, as with all their hotels, the name Fairmont precedes the actual name of the hotel. The same applies to other cities with a landmark ex-railway hotel. No-one in Toronto thinks of the Royal York Hotel as the Fairmont, although the name Fairmont now appears discreetly all over the place. There was actually quite a controversy in Toronto when Fairmont wanted to replace the traditional "Royal York" sign on the top of the hotel with "Fairmont." The City of Toronto denied permission and a compromise was reached: Fairmont was added to the sign but it still says Royal York in huge letters. The same happened in Victoria with The Empress. It is a tribute to the railway lineage of these Fairmont hotels that they are primarily known by their traditional names: the Château Frontenac, Château Laurier, Banff Springs, The Empress and Hotel Vancouver being some of the most famous. I've lost track of what few hotels are actually owned by Fairmont. Prior to spinning off Canadian Pacific Hotels into a separate company, C.P. sold off a significant number of them to a REIT (Real estate investment trust) with a long-term management contract. As I recall from shareholder information, this process continued after the name was changed to Fairmont and prior to the company being sold substantially to a Saudi Arabian prince. Contrary to what many people think, Canadian Pacific bought Fairmont, not the other way around. According to CP' president, when addressing a shareholders' meeting, the name was changed to Fairmont to appeal to American tourists who probably had never heard of Canadian Pacific.

Similarly, the Marriott opposite Montreal's Windsor Station is still known as le Château Champlain, its original name when built by CP. This is a recent trend putting the owner or operator's name before the hotel's name. I personally dislike this, but concede it is an inevitable marketing strategy.

The Starwood property beside the Halifax station is the Westin Nova Scotian. The hotel's original name as a Canadian National hotel was the Nova Scotian. It had long been sold by CN prior to the entire CN chain being bought by CP. For a few years of Hilton operation, the hotel was known as the Halifax Hilton. I am pleased that Westin restored the traditional name. We always stay there when in Halifax and I agree the harbour-view rooms are the best, especially if you enjoy ships. There is normally a $20 surcharge for a guaranteed harbour view.

Date: 01/14/10 08:02
Author: rresor

I used to travel to Montreal frequently on business, and I usually stayed at the Chateau Champlain (both before and after it became a Marriott). Rooms on the south side of the tower have a good view of Windsor Station and (in the distance) CN's Turcot Yard, but I'd usually ask for a room on the west side, overlooking the Place du Canada and the cathedral, with a view of Mount Royal as well.

Le Chateau Champlain is only a short block from the closest entrance to Central Station (and CN's offices).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds