Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Canadian Railroads > Imax Rocky Mountain Express released today

Date: 09/30/11 22:29
Imax Rocky Mountain Express released today
Author: moonliter

September ended will lots of rain tonight and a cold front moving into Canada's Capital Region but that did not dampen the spirits of the those who were in attendance of the world premier of Stephen Low's new Imax film, Rocky Mountain Express.

Where I work I never know when I'll be finished but luck was on my side tonight as I was able to leave work and make it to the National Museum of Civilization in Gatineau,QC a half hour before the film's 20:15 start.

As I entered the foyer I was met by two North West Mounted Police officers complete the their scarlet tunics and white pill-box hats. It was at this point I started to worry. Inside I could see well dressed men and women sipping on wine, chatting away. I walked a table where two museum employees were handing out tickets and scratching names of a list, and it was at this point, I feared for the worst. "Is this showing for invited guests only?" I sheepishly asked. "Yes" was her reply but then asked me where I found out about the film. I told her that I knew the film was being made but found out about its completion on Trainorders. I continued and told her that I checked the museum's website for the showtimes and had not seen anything about the general public not being allowed to this showing.

She did ask me about the VIA ticket I had in my shirt pocket to which I answered, "Yes I'm going to Montréal tomorrow". It was then she passed me a ticket free of charge and said, "You will love this film..." I think she was a secret rainfan and just wanted to toy with me first.

Inside I was treated to drinks, oeuvres and lots of friendly conversations about film, trains and locomotives. In attendance were film types, museum folks and professional railway people so the conversation varied.

In a word the film is "spectacular". It is slightly different than what I had expected. The story is about the building of the CPR through the Rockies with lots of shots of 2816. Even the scenes showing an "Action Red" assist diesel with 2816 going through the Fraser Canyon did not detract from the overall theme of the film. I was surprised that it just blended in. The story is not about 2816 although she is clearly the star of the film. The co-star is Canada's natural beauty.

After the 46 minute film was over there was a question and answer session with Stephen Low(the film's director) and Jonathan Morris(from 2816 steam program). Jonathan handled all the technical questions from viewers (none were too tough) and Steven handle the film questions. It was interesting to find out it was shot with film and and most likely the last Imax production Steven will do in that medium. He added,"film is still better than digital but it's so hard too find, process...".

I hope everyone gets a chance to see this film, it is well worth the price of admission. Here is a link to the movie. http://www.stephenlow.com/films/rockymountainexpress/index.html

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/11 14:44 by moonliter.

Date: 10/02/11 00:48
Re: Imax Rocky Mountain Express released today
Author: JGFuller

Sure hope this makes it south of the border!!

Date: 10/02/11 17:11
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

I do, too! :)

Date: 10/03/11 09:46
Author: cp1400

Here's a link to the scheduled opening dates in various cities in Canada and the USA.

http://www.stephenlow.com/news/newsstory.php?newsID=29

Since this is a story about the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway through the Rocky Mountains, which Vancouver became the western terminus and much of the filming was done in British Columbia, I think its an outrage that this production doesn't screen in Vancouver until April 2012! In two weeks I can drive to Seattle to see it for crying out loud. Hey producers and distributors, how about us in Vancouver???

cp1400

Date: 10/03/11 17:09
Author: camshawn

My wife and I will drive down to Seattle in mid October to see the show rather that waiting until next April to see it in Vancouver.
Cam

Date: 10/03/11 21:35
Author: moonliter

cp1400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think its an outrage that this
> production doesn't screen in Vancouver until April
> 2012! In two weeks I can drive to Seattle to see
> it for crying out loud. Hey producers and
> distributors, how about us in Vancouver???

cp1400 you get to see those beautiful mountains, canyons and railways every day. Those of us in the east have to spend big dollars to visit your fabulous province or settle seeing it on film!

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 10/04/11 16:29
Author: tsokolan

Nice, shoot it in Western Canada yet only show it in Vancouver and Victora. Thanks a lot IMAX!!
-Trevor

Date: 10/04/11 17:37
Author: eminence_grise

tsokolan Wrote:
> Nice, shoot it in Western Canada yet only show it
> in Vancouver and Victora. Thanks a lot IMAX!!
> -Trevor

It has to be shown in an IMAX theatre, huge wrap around screen, steeply banked seating, special 70mm projector, sophisticated sound system.

The CN Imax theatre in Vancouver and the National Geograhic Theatre in Victoria are the only two in BC. I'm surprised Calgary or Edmonton , Saskatoon and Winnipeg don't have IMAX theatres.

Remember Cinerama when you were a kid?....the old Imperial in Montreal was the only one equipped for Cinerama. My guess is Toronto had one, but I bet Ottawa didn't.

Date: 10/04/11 20:54
Author: tsokolan

Actually Calgary and Edmonton have IMAX theatres, for some reason there have been no future dates announced fro Alberta.
-Trevor

Date: 10/04/11 22:04
Author: eminence_grise

tsokolan Wrote:
> Actually Calgary and Edmonton have IMAX theatres,
> for some reason there have been no future dates
> announced fro Alberta.
> -Trevor

Sad in a way, Stephen's father, Colin Low was born and raised near Cardston AB.

Colin was one of the pioneers in developing what became IMAX in the 1960's as a film director for the National Film Board in Montreal.

Date: 10/10/11 05:34
Author: 55002

At last. It was 4 years ago I saw the film being made, with an Imax camera mounted on the front of CP8817 at Banff.
Hope it's not too long before it hits the UK.

Date: 10/21/15 22:51
Author: Mark3583

It was a fabulous Film in IMAX.  I saw it last year in Vancouver at Science World. Gets a bit queezy in parts with the full wrap around screen but very spectacular.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2121 seconds