Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Canadian Railroads > Upcoming Vancouver Trip

Date: 09/02/14 04:09
Upcoming Vancouver Trip
Author: mp35mountain

I'll be up in Vancouver, BC for about a week of train watching and would like to know what the good spots are for sitting in one place and catching as much action as possible (hopefully without interference from local law enforcement LOL). My tentative plans include spending a day on the North Shore, a day on the South Shore and a day on the coal/ intermodal route to Roberts Bank which leaves me three more days to go where ever. I'd appreciate any assistance that members might want to send my way. Thanks in advance.

Tim
mp35mountain

Date: 09/02/14 11:09
Re: Upcoming Vancouver Trip
Author: dizzy85

I would suggest the Mission/Matsqui areas (especially around the Mission Bridge) to catch a variety CN and CP trains going both directions.

Date: 09/02/14 20:09
Author: railsmith

dizzy85 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would suggest the Mission/Matsqui areas
> (especially around the Mission Bridge) to catch a
> variety CN and CP trains going both directions.

A bonus of the Matsqui area until October 15 is the BNSF empty coal traffic detouring via the Southern Railway of B.C. route through Langley and Matsqui/Abbotsford to reach the border at Sumas, Wash. Usually one train daily in daylight hours and sometimes two. If you are out on the Roberts Bank corridor, you might see one and can follow it east.

Also in the Mission area you'll be able to see the short parade of five West Coast Express trains westbound in the morning (some will be in the dark in this area) and eastbound in the afternoon.

You'll also have a chance to see VIA No. 1 in this area three times a week (until late October). It's been running very late recently so chances of afternoon shots (head-end facing the sun) are quite good.

CP's daily wayfreight from Coquitlam to Huntingdon comes through this area southbound in the early afternoon and returns around 18:00. Often has interesting power. Yesterday an ex-SOO SD60 with an old SD40-2, other times GP38s, occasionally with Coquitlam's only GP20C-ECO, CP 2243.

Date: 09/02/14 21:16
Author: LKeithR

Another vote for Matsqui--lots of variety. When are you coming up? If your timing is right I might be able to take some time and give you a "guided tour" part way up the Canyon...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 09/03/14 01:47
Author: railsmith

mp35mountain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My tentative plans include spending a day
> on the North Shore, a day on the South Shore and a
> day on the coal/ intermodal route to Roberts Bank
> which leaves me three more days to go where ever.

If by North Shore and South Shore you are referring to the two sides of Vancouver's central harbour, you'll find access fairly limited.

On the south side, there are overpasses just east of the foot of Renfrew Street (it's Commissioner Street, off McGill Street), others at the foot of Clark Drive and of Heatley Ave., and finally at Main Street. The first three are for official access to the Port and you'll face security on the north sides. There are also some views from the plaza around the Granville Square office tower just west of Waterfront Station.

On the North Shore, you'll have limited views of CN's Lynn Creek terminal. I'm not sure of the status of the Low Level Road that parallels the tracks west of Lynn Creek, beside Neptune Terminals, and the two grain elevators. For certain, you can't park there. This road is due for conversion into two more tracks and is being replaced by an elevated road immediately north, which is set to open any day now. That would open up some views of switching action.

Father west on the North Shore, there's the former BC Rail yard, now CN McLean Yard. It's a shadow of its former self. You might catch a switch job from Lynn Creek working there, at most.

The only road job on the ex-BC Rail line is the North Van-Squamish Turn, CN train 546, which runs overnight. You might catch it returning in the morning on days that it meets the northbound Rocky Mountaineer train to Whistler. The passenger train operates Thursday to Monday, returning in the late afternoon. Its last run is Sept. 24.

You might want to reconsider allocating so much time to the North and South Shore; one day would be more than enough, IMHO. Put it this way -- if I had a railfan friend coming to Vancouver for a shorter visit than you are planning, say just two or three days, I'd advise them to skip those locations altogether, and focus on the CP, CN and BNSF lines to the east and south of the city, and on the Roberts Bank corridor. All three lines operate through New Westminster at various points, and access is good there, although the locations are cluttered.

In short, the action is in the 'burbs, not the city.

Date: 09/03/14 22:00
Author: Train611

I recommend Mission area as well...and you can see The RMR passenger trains as well.

Drive 10 miles east or west on both sides of the river for different photo sites.

Bring a scanner if you have one.

Have a good visit.

Date: 09/07/14 12:46
Author: DonNadeau

"All three lines operate through New Westminster at various points, and access is good there, although the locations are cluttered."

The waterfront park in New Westminster gives you closeup and unobstructed views of CN, CP, & Southern Railway of BC (Surrey) traffic. Quite busy when was last there. This is not mainline traffic, however. You see mainline BNSF & CN movements on a bridge over the Fraser River in the distance, but last time there closer access blocked from the park. The park and a waterside walkway extend far along the waterfront and you'll enjoy train access all the way.

Access the waterfront area from New Westminster SkyTrain station (not to be confused with its Colombia station) by either 1) a highway bridge 2) by skyway on foot, or 3) a track crossing. Vehicle access from #1 and #2.

See this map of the area:

https://goo.gl/maps/9Wg3l

From the bridge crossing area, walk northeast along tracks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/14 20:59 by DonNadeau.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds