Home Open Account Help 242 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA's Prestige fares for Winter to Increase

Date: 10/21/15 15:07
VIA's Prestige fares for Winter to Increase
Author: DrawingroomA

Those hoping that off-peak fares might be offered for the Prestige service on the Canadian were being overly optimistic. Effective with the beginning of 2016 the pre-tax fare goes from $6544 to $6806, which makes a trip from Toronto to Vancouver $7690.78 and the eastbound trip is a bargain at $7146.30 thanks to the tax difference.   As of now, the regular sleeper fares for next winter are the same as they are currently.

Date: 10/21/15 20:19
Re: VIA's Prestige fares for Winter to Increase
Author: jp1822

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those hoping that off-peak fares might be offered
> for the Prestige service on the Canadian were
> being overly optimistic. Effective with the
> beginning of 2016 the pre-tax fare goes from $6544
> to $6806, which makes a trip from Toronto to
> Vancouver $7690.78 and the eastbound trip is a
> bargain at $7146.30 thanks to the tax
> difference.   As of now, the regular sleeper
> fares for next winter are the same as they are
> currently.

is VIA running a Prestige Car (Chateau conversion) + the Park Car? Last year it was just one bedroom in the Park Car that was sold as a Prestige room......

Date: 10/22/15 03:20
Author: andersonb109

Price seems a bit high for a four night trip. Rooms are nice but not on a par with say Rovos Rail or the Eastern Oriental Express when it comes to size or ambiance.  A Deluxe Suite on Rovos from Cape Town to Dar es Salaam is just over $15,000. That includes 10 nights on the train as well as three nights in a five star hotel/game park. Rooms are much larger, service top notch and all meals and drinks included. So cost per night is much higher on VIA. But lower than a Master Suite on Pullman Rail Journeys on a cost per night basis.

Date: 10/22/15 04:41

jp1822 Wrote:

> is VIA running a Prestige Car (Chateau conversion)
> + the Park Car? Last year it was just one bedroom
> in the Park Car that was sold as a Prestige
> room......

Yes, there is one Prestige Chateau sleeper plus the Park car.  For most of the late summer/early autumn season there were two Chateau sleepers and they were sold out most of the time. It will be interesting to see how well they sell in the winter.  For each of the three remaining Toronto departures this month there are at least three Prestige rooms available.  Reservia will give information for a maximum of six passengers so it is impossible to know the exact availability.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/15 04:42 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 10/23/15 03:22
Author: tq-07fan

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Price seems a bit high for a four night trip.
<snip!>

Only if no one wants to pay it! :-)

Somehow on my recent trip I had several cruise boats following me around for much of my trip. Although the prices for them seamed high to me at first in reality those people actually got to see a lot of stuff for their money for a one to two week cruise. Although I covered much more ground in less time by using a combination of buses, planes and trains I also had to pay for my hotels and food which all added up. It made take a closer look at cruise boats and realize that they aren't that bad of a value depending on where they go, even if you get a better room. With VIA Rail and the Prestige Class there really is no hop off, hop on, to see anyplace on the route other than the long stops in Winnipeg and Jasper, if the train is on time. It would be interesting to find out why the people riding in the Prestige Class chose to do it.

Jim

Date: 10/26/15 22:17
Author: jp1822

tq-07fan Wrote:
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Price seems a bit high for a four night trip.
>
>
> Only if no one wants to pay it! :-)
>
> Somehow on my recent trip I had several cruise
> boats following me around for much of my trip.
> Although the prices for them seamed high to me at
> first in reality those people actually got to see
> a lot of stuff for their money for a one to two
> week cruise. Although I covered much more ground
> in less time by using a combination of buses,
> planes and trains I also had to pay for my hotels
> and food which all added up. It made take a closer
> look at cruise boats and realize that they aren't
> that bad of a value depending on where they go,
> even if you get a better room. With VIA Rail and
> the Prestige Class there really is no hop off, hop
> on, to see anyplace on the route other than the
> long stops in Winnipeg and Jasper, if the train is
> on time. It would be interesting to find out why
> the people riding in the Prestige Class chose to
> do it.
>
> Jim

Why passengers choose it could be the defining moment for VIA rail, as these high rates could bank roll the train pretty well...especially with two prestige cars sold out. If VIA can keep up the momentum, this could all be very interesting. And in the off season, there's enough for three prestige cars per train set - just saying! And if the 2010 schedule was still in place, VIA likely could put three cars on even during peak season - hinges on Vancouver on that schedule! 

Trying to figure out if I book a trip across Canada around New Year's. But I'd take  a double cabin most likely. 

Date: 10/27/15 18:39

The Canadian due out of Toronto tonight is sold out in sleepers - even upper berths - except for Prestige.  Reservia shows there are at least three available. The train has only five regular sleepers, one dining car and no extra Skyline cars. I believe this to be the first of the reduced winter consists.

For those who are interested in the order of sleepers, the train is back to its regular numbering.  The first sleeper (all are behind the diner) is 20, then 21, 22, 23, 24, 30, 39.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds