Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Canadian Railroads > Roger Puta Was in Western Canada in May 1982

Date: 01/08/17 19:19
Roger Puta Was in Western Canada in May 1982
Author: MartyBernard

Here are three shot by two cameras, probably the same Canadian in nearly the same place.  Any help with a caption would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty Bernard

Date: 01/09/17 00:21
Re: Roger Puta Was in Western Canada in May 1982
Author: cp1400

All three shots are of the eastbound Canadian at the west end of the yard at Field BC.

Date: 01/09/17 00:25
Author: MartyBernard

Hey, thanks.

Marty

Date: 01/09/17 19:25
Author: jp1822

Lot of duplex rooms on this train! And more of the ex-CN blue cars and yellow than the ex-CP stainless steel cars. I think I spotted one mid-car short dome (and of course the Park Car Dome/Lounge). Still looks cold out to be May!

It's hard to believe now that back in the 80's the Canadian was still operating daily in both directions. But it was certainly operating more sleepers than coaches! I imagine also the sleepers were more reasonable in price.

Date: 01/10/17 10:27
Author: DavidP

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lot of duplex rooms on this train! And more of the
> ex-CN blue cars and yellow than the ex-CP
> stainless steel cars. I think I spotted one
> mid-car short dome (and of course the Park Car
> Dome/Lounge). Still looks cold out to be May!
>
> It's hard to believe now that back in the 80's the
> Canadian was still operating daily in both
> directions. But it was certainly operating more
> sleepers than coaches! I imagine also the sleepers
> were more reasonable in price.

Yes, this was when the Canadian was the only through trans-con train, running over the CP.  The Super Continental had been discontinued in 1981, although much of it's route was covered by stub trains, and it was revived as a Winnipeg - Vancouver train in 1985.  As for the blue cars, looks like a CN "Dayniter" behind the Skyline dome, followed by an all duplex room car, three E-Series sleepers with duplex roommates on one end, and an ex-CN diner.  Anyone know the history of the all-duplex car?  Original CN or a US ex-pat?

Dave

Date: 01/10/17 15:24
Author: jp1822

The Canadian runs even less frequently now and there's no Super Comtinental or train that parallels it. I consider the Rocky Mountaineer and VIA two different operations completely. Amazing how the Canadian rail traffic just basically dried up. One theory that goes through my mind - did all the branch service and day liner service that once existed hasten the decline. Roads may have gotten better out west, but still, the transcon traffic was in a continuous decline. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0506 seconds