Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Canadian Railroads > Montreal AMT ALP54DP

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 03/20/17 16:05
Montreal AMT ALP54DP
Author: joemvcnj

When run on the Mascouche service, where do they change modes - while at the Mont Royal station ?

Date: 03/20/17 17:10
Re: Montreal AMT ALP54DP
Author: kgmontreal

Yes, at Mount Royal.

KG

Date: 03/20/17 17:43
Author: Mberry

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, at Mount Royal.
>
> KG

That was the case when I shot the changeover in July 2015, photos are available in my post: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,3807085,3807088#msg-3807088

However the July 2016 CN timetable says "transfer from one tractive mode to the other (diesel/electric) on the AMT AL-45 locomotives (dual mode) must be done at AMT station Ahuntsic. It is forbidden to the AMT ALP-45 locomotives (dual mode) to operate in diesel mode between Jct de l'Est and AMT Ahuntsic station inculding Lebeau connecting track, except when authorized by a Montrain train Service supervisor when there's an electric or motor failure".

I am not sure when this changed, or why.

Michael

Date: 03/21/17 08:48

As an update, I spoke to a friend of mine who is an engineer on commuter trains in Montreal. He confirmed that the changeover is now at Ahuntsic. 

Michael

Date: 03/21/17 10:25
Author: Lackawanna484

I wonder if the diesel noise irritated the neighbors?  Isn't Mont Royal in a modest trench?

My observation of NJ Transit's operation suggests there's little or no incremental noise to starting the diesel.

Date: 03/21/17 12:11

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> I wonder if the diesel noise irritated the
> neighbors?  Isn't Mont Royal in a modest trench?
>
> My observation of NJ Transit's operation suggests
> there's little or no incremental noise to starting
> the diesel.

The line is barely in a trench through  the Town of Mount Royal, yes.

Apparently the electrification had been giving them some problems near Eastern Jct, once it was resolved they changed the changeover spot.

Michael

Date: 03/21/17 15:05

As I said a couple of years ago, I wish VIA would lease one of them for the Jonquire/Senneterre train and get rid of that ridiculous, circumferntial route west of the city they take now.

Date: 03/21/17 15:57
Author: ghCBNS

joemvcnj Wrote:
> As I said a couple of years ago, I wish VIA would
> lease one of them for the Jonquire/Senneterre
> train and get rid of that ridiculous,
> circumferntial route west of the city they take
> now.

Why?.....the cost to obtain an ALP-45 would be cost prohibitive for a 3 times/week each way service to save 20min. VIA Trains running through the tunnel once took 20 min between Montreal and Ahuntsic. They now takes 40 mins.

And where do you get the idea it's ridicules? it's really not much further than the route CP trains used for years around the mountain via Montreal West and Park Ave to Quebec City, Ottawa via the North Shore, the Laurentians and today's AMT route to Saint-Jerome.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/17 16:06 by ghCBNS.

Date: 03/21/17 16:33

Well, none of those CP intercity passenger trains exists anymore.

VIA schedule says 38 minutes. But the round trip I made took 45 minutes without any freight interference, just crawling around the city through interlocking and past freight yards.

AMT takes 14 minutes with 2 stops, so I figure non-stop would be 12 minutes. That would be an effective savings of 33 minutes.
If VIA and AMT swapped an ALP45DP and an F40, lease payments could be lose to a wash, or they'd figure it by comparative mileage.

AMT's St Jerome line is a strange and circuitous operation. It looks like 10 weekday trains make it in to Lucien L'Allier, but 3 more only run in as far as Parc. On weekends, all 6 terminate even farther out at De La Concorde. I suppose people transfer to the Metro. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/17 16:54 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/21/17 16:52

So what is VIA going to do with a ALP-45 when it's not running those 12 minute schedules 6 time a week? A waste of money for a slight saving in time.

Date: 03/21/17 16:54

Run it out to Jonquire. What's the problem ?
AMT doesn't need 15 of them for electric service. Some are used on diesel-only services, so an VIA F40 can suffice.

The concept is no different than Amtrak running their P32DM to Niagara falls. They only need the 3rd rail capability for 3  or 5 minutes to get out of the Penn Station into the open at 40th Street, and of course deadhead in and out of Sunnyside Yard in Queens. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/17 16:59 by joemvcnj.

Date: 03/21/17 17:07

Yeah.....an even swap. Don't think AMT is going to accept a 30 year old locomotive (although rebuilt) for a much newer ALP-45 for really no good reason other than for VIA to save a couple of minutes.

Date: 03/21/17 17:13

joemvcnj Wrote:
>
> The concept is no different than Amtrak running
> their P32DM to Niagara falls.

But Amtrak already owns those. VIA would be getting a one-of a kind that they really don't need when a F-40 works just fine as is on the Jonquiere service.

Date: 03/21/17 17:16

Well, maybe AMT just assume get one off their hands. These ALP45DP's are like children demanding attention..
They have vivacious appetites for fuel, and the NJT ones now require an expensive and time-consuming  equivalent of "valve job" to stay compliant with emissions standards.

Date: 03/21/17 17:28

joemvcnj Wrote:
> They have vivacious appetites for fuel, and the
> NJT ones now require an expensive and
> time-consuming  equivalent of "valve job" to stay
> compliant with emissions standards.

Just what VIA needs...a vivacious appetites for fuel! (You are not making a good point here for VIA to acquire a locomotive they really don't need!!)

Date: 03/21/17 18:05

Yeh, but VIA Rail is a 2 to 5 car train, and not stop and go every 3 miles.

Posted from Android

Date: 03/21/17 18:49

ghCBNS Wrote:
> So what is VIA going to do with a ALP-45 when it's
> not running those 12 minute schedules 6 time a
> week? A waste of money for a slight saving in
> time.

Agree 100%!

Michael

Date: 03/21/17 18:56

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Run it out to Jonquire. What's the problem ?
> AMT doesn't need 15 of them for electric service.
> Some are used on diesel-only services, so an VIA
> F40 can suffice.
>
> The concept is no different than Amtrak running
> their P32DM to Niagara falls. They only need the
> 3rd rail capability for 3  or 5 minutes to get
> out of the Penn Station into the open at 40th
> Street, and of course deadhead in and out of
> Sunnyside Yard in Queens. 

What's the problem? Then you have a finicky and gas-guzzling and very, very non-standard locomotive in a very remote area. I don't see that working out well.

Michael

Date: 03/23/17 09:19
Author: tq-07fan

But the coolness factor would peg the needle! :-)

Jim

Date: 03/23/17 11:38

The world would not crack if they tried it. That train is so damned slow.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0651 seconds