Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Canadian Railroads > on this day, 10 years ago

Date: 04/20/17 03:05
on this day, 10 years ago
Author: hoggerdoug

April 20, 2007 a pleasant spring afternoon at Quesnel BC, train 571 is ready to challenge Cotwood Hill with a cut of tonnage to Greening siding.
images of our units that day. The big blue Dash9's were perhaps my favorite locomotive to run.

Date: 04/20/17 03:09
Re: on this day, 10 years ago

grinding up the hill. Cotwood Hill is mostly 2point2 percent or less, with the odd few feet of 2.5 percent. Eventually the speed and loading found their sweet spot.

Date: 04/20/17 03:12

3 more images. We have arrived at Greening, changed ends on the units and ready to head south lite engines back to Quesnel. the first image of these 3 was "rejected" by another railfan site. picky picky
thanks for looking. Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/17 03:14 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 04/20/17 08:14
Author: trainjunkie

Nice. I'll be driving through there in a few days. I hope there is as much snow there this year as there was then.

Date: 04/20/17 13:42
Author: cn6218

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the first image of
> these 3 was "rejected" by another railfan site.
> picky picky

Bah! Who needs them? It's the stories that go with the pictures that count!

BTW, does the ammeter read current per motor, or current out of the alternator/rectifier? At 1100 amps, it doesn't seem like the cables would last very long, let alone the motors.

GTD

Date: 04/21/17 04:00

shows load per motor, things do get warm after awhile. One evening my Conductor attempted to calculate the number of watts on the motors. His decimal point in calculations may have been wrong, but he figured there were enough watts consumed to operate 88,000 bread toasters. As a side note, the GF6C electric locos on the Tumbler sub had 6 vertical scale load meters, one per axle. It was interesting to watch the load vary on each motor and generally the middle axle on each truck would have the heaviest electrical load.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds