Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Canadian Railroads > Log train derails - Vancouver Island

Date: 04/20/17 13:14
Log train derails - Vancouver Island
Author: thehighwayman

Date: 04/20/17 16:41
Re: Log train derails - Vancouver Island
Author: DrLoco

Updated to Two fatalities, with 1 critical and 2 more in serious condition at hospital.
I had no idea they had that many guys on the log trains. Railroading (even if it's in an industrial or logging situation) is a dangerous business, and my prayers are out for the families and friends and everyone else at WFP.

Date: 04/20/17 17:38
Author: TCnR

Not a lot of details, the CBC article has info that sounds like the train carried more than just T&E. Maybe somebody on TO knows how they move the cutting crews around.

"Western Forest Products confirmed its personnel and materials were being transported on the Englewood Railway train when it derailed"

Date: 04/20/17 18:28
Author: GREENGROCER

Latest update is that the loaded log cars got away from the reload yard after "a cable broke". there were apparently no engines attached to the cars. The crew that was struck were doing track work. Sad day for all involved.

Date: 04/20/17 19:27
Author: PHall

GREENGROCER Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Latest update is that the loaded log cars got away
> from the reload yard after "a cable broke". there
> were apparently no engines attached to the cars.
> The crew that was struck were doing track work.
> Sad day for all involved.

Yeah, I can see how that happened. Rolling cars make very little noise.
They could sneak up on you very easily if you weren't watching for them.

Date: 04/20/17 21:01
Author: thehighwayman

Latest article from one of the island newspapers indicates the cars ran away, missed a derail and rolled over onto a speeder carrying a track crew.

http://www.cowichanvalleycitizen.com/news/updated-two-people-dead-after-train-derailment-in-woss/

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0353 seconds