Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Scotian in 1970

Date: 05/17/17 23:54
The Scotian in 1970
Author: MartyBernard

Here is Roger Puta's caption: CN Train 12, the Scotian, led by FPA4 6786 at Truro, NS on September 5, 1970. And here is the 1954 schedule: http://www.streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track6/scotian195407.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/17 23:57 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/18/17 01:42
Re: The Scotian in 1970
Author: ghCBNS

Thanks for that….and it’s stopped at the old Intercolonial station! I’ve been taking photos in Truro for years but have very few before that beautiful old structure was replaced by a strip mall in the early ‘70s.

Date: 05/19/17 03:29
Author: DavidP

How did the Cape Breton trains leave Truro? Was direction of travel reversed for the through cars?

Dave

Date: 05/19/17 04:32

DavidP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How did the Cape Breton trains leave Truro? Was
> direction of travel reversed for the through
> cars?
>
> Dave

Yes….eastbound train #18 to Sydney would depart Truro backwards heading straight east on the Hopewell Sub. Westbound #19 would arrive Truro, proceed through the wye onto the Springhill Sub…..then back down into the station with the cars properly positioned to be combined westbound.

Date: 05/19/17 21:16
Author: jp1822

The departure/arrival board was pictures after the Dayliner to Yartmouth was cancelled right? Didn't the last Dayliner to Yartmouth passby Truro? I know there were two ways to get to Yartmouth from Halifax (down the east shore of Nova Scotia so to speak or up through the west shore). The east shore train was discontinued first I believe. Regardless, all these trains at one time and now it's just one train through the station three times per week. No multiple trains to Montreal, no train to Yartmouth (southern tip of Nova Scotia) and no train to Cape Breton (northern tip of Nova Scotia).

I am sorry I didn't spend the extra time on a Nova Scotia trip to take the Bras'd'Or. I left on a Monday instead of a Thursday and I could have taken the Bras'd'Or on a trip up to Sydney Tuesday/Wednesday.

I did squeeze in the Chaeleur (train to Gaspe) a few times before it was discontinued (although there may be hope for restoration "some day"). And I did take the Enterprise a few times when making a connection with the Canadian. VIA said how the 10 pm departure would help the Canadian make a "same day" connection with passengers coming down from Quebec City or Montreal. Well at one time you could have taken a train operating six days a week from Halifax overnight to Montreal, connect with the overnight Enterprise, and then onto the Canadian and still made it coast to coast faster (with a three day schedule of the Canadian then). The eastbound Canadian connection to the Enterprise was always at jeopardy.......but they could hold the Enterprise as needed due to its padding. Observed and experienced this a few times. There was at least two hours where the Enterprise just sat waiting for passenger friendly times so it could pick up some morning commuter traffic into Montreal or Toronto.

BEST sleep I ever had was on the Enterprise when it operated with Renaissance equipment. It had started out with regular Budd stainless steel coaches, Chateau sleepers, and a Park [Dome/Lounge] Car. The last car was largely patronized by sleeper car passengers. Breakfast aboard the Enterprise - if you didn't get up early - was always a rush coming into Toronto. When the Renaissance cars came online - the "service car" had limited seating and was a horrible substitute for trying to eat food in. They should have served sleeper car passengers in their rooms as if aboard Amtrak's Twilight Shoreliner when it carried a Viewliner sleeper from Newport News to Boston.

Date: 05/20/17 03:40

jp1822 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The departure/arrival board was pictures after the
> Dayliner to Yartmouth was cancelled right? Didn't
> the last Dayliner to Yartmouth passby Truro?

Wrong area of the Province. The Dominion Atlantic Dayliner didn't go through Truro. Truro is on the CN mainline to Moncton and onto Montreal....and is still a stop for the Ocean.

The Dominion Atlantic did have a Mixed Train between Truro and Windsor that lasted to the '70s.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0494 seconds