Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP at Saint John, NB, June 1978

Date: 05/28/17 14:20
CP at Saint John, NB, June 1978
Author: thebluecomet

Paid a brief overnight visit to the city of Saint John during a great 2 week railfan holiday/vacation back in the summer of 1978. Primary focus of the trip was the Maine Central, but spent two days in New Brunswick. As you can see it was worth it. Will be posting several more from the area shortly. Enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/17 05:10 by thebluecomet.

Date: 05/28/17 14:29
Re: CP at St. John, NB, June 1978
Author: Mberry

Awesome!

Date: 05/28/17 14:58
Author: TCnR

Yes, very awesome. Have always wondered what goes on way over there.

Any idea what's there now?

Date: 05/28/17 15:56

Btw, I assume you are the same photographer who used to have his photos on thebluecomet.com (which is no longer up and running), which I enjoyed immensely. Are those photos posted anywhere else at present?

Michael

Date: 05/28/17 17:00
Author: thebluecomet

Yes, its me. My website died back in 2012 when the host shutdown without warning. All of my slides are being rescanned in a newer scanner mostly due their deteriorating condition from years of improper storage. Even Kodachrome can't handle dampness over time. I'll continue to post my stuff here as I work through them. Despite some silliness, this site is a great venue for sharing with others.

Date: 05/28/17 17:05

thebluecomet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, its me. My website died back in 2012 when the
> host shutdown without warning. All of my slides
> are being rescanned in a newer scanner mostly due
> their deteriorating condition from years of
> improper storage. Even Kodachrome can't handle
> dampness over time. I'll continue to post my stuff
> here as I work through them. Despite some
> silliness, this site is a great venue for sharing
> with others.

Okay, looking forward to it.... Wouldn't mind seeing your Montreal West stuff again (my hometown), if you take requests ;-).

Michael

Date: 05/28/17 17:06
Author: CPR_4000

I wonder what that area looks like today. Where is that in relation to the Reversing Falls?

Date: 05/28/17 17:09
Author: kgmontreal

Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing more.

KG

Date: 05/28/17 17:45
Author: cn6218

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Any idea what's there now?

Not very much. This was CP's Bayshore engine servicing facility and the junction with the line that ran along the shore to St. George's. By the end of the CP era (1995) it had dwindled to a few yard tracks on the way down the hill to the docks at the Port of Saint John. In these images from July of 2012, the crossbucks protect the same crossing shown in the first photo, although there are only two tracks now, instead of 4 or 5. The hill behind the cab of the GP38-2 in the second is probably where the photographer was standing for that 1978 picture.

GTD

Date: 06/01/17 14:04
Re: CP at Saint John, NB, June 1978
Author: Keough

The first two at Bayshore could have been taken from the parking lot of where I stayed. I bunked at the Engineers Bunkhouse when I was relief dispatching in Saint John. Nice stuff

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0697 seconds