Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Canadian Railroads > A few from the Niagara Region...

Date: 05/29/17 08:52
A few from the Niagara Region...
Author: DJ-12

Mrs Pittsburghmike and I enjoyed a nice weekend "parental sanity weekend" up at Niagara Falls last weekend. Mixed in with a healthy dose of wine tours, trips to the Butterfly Gardens, and general just chillaxing at our B&B, we of course took in a few railroad visits.
1. On Friday, Amtrak Train #63, the "Maple Leaf" cruises across the Whirlpool Bridge, which was conveniently located just 3 blocks from our B&B.
2 &3. Saturday Morning, we wandered over to the Niagara Falls station to catch the first inbound GO Train of the season. This is a special weekends only service on selected summer weekends that is in the process of being expanded to daily. If this train was any indication, we could see why, it was PACKED with all manner of folks, young and old, many who brought their bikes for the short pedal to the falls.Note that the local chamber of commerce has guide waiting to direct people to the falls either by foot, bike, or waiting local buses.

Date: 05/29/17 08:57
Re: A few from the Niagara Region...

4. That evening before dinner at a fantastic little winery, we headed over to the Welland Canal, catching the evening GO Train rolling over the tandem lift bridges.
5 & 6. I'm really digging all the neat transportation vibes offered by the canal as we watched both up and downbound ships transiting the locks.

Date: 05/29/17 09:02

On Sunday Morning, Mrs Pittsburghmike slept in and I snuck out early before breakfast to get some more trains.
7. I stopped by the junction called Clifton where the Stamford Sub connects to the Grimsby to look around and founda green signal for this westbound which showed up only a minute after arrived. Anyone know the likely symbol?
8. I beat him down to the locks for a shot, and lucked out with a couple boats in the background.
9. Although rain was threatening from the get go, I REALLY got lucky when a brief clear patch of sky allowed the sun to light up this GO train deadheading to the falls to be in position for the morning return run to Toronto. Note the ship on the left is lowering in the lock while the one on the right has steamed out of view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/17 09:03 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 05/29/17 09:05
Author: WP17

I really like the view of the ships in #5. If there had only been a train had been passing over the bridge below the bows of the ships. I'd love to see a photo of that:-) Maybe someone does (hint hint)

WP17

PittsburghMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4. That evening before dinner at a fantastic
> little winery, we headed over to the Welland
> Canal, catching the evening GO Train rolling over
> the tandem lift bridges.
> 5 & 6. I'm really digging all the neat
> transportation vibes offered by the canal as we
> watched both up and downbound ships transiting the
> locks.

Date: 05/29/17 09:07

10. On the radio, I heard CN 422 leaving Port Robinson and headed back to get him rounding the wye at Clifton as the rain was about to cut loose.
11. In the pouring rain, I rolled back down to the canal for a slightly different angle for 422.
12. The bulk carrier Federal Ruhr makes its way through the locks as the lift bridge opens after 422 has passed.

Date: 05/29/17 09:12
Author: WP17

I see that PittsburghMike posted a couple of the photos I was hoping to see while I was composing my previous post.
Didn't have to wait long at all:-)

Well done PittsburghMike

PittsburghMike Wrote:
> On Sunday Morning, Mrs Pittsburghmike slept in and
> I snuck out early before breakfast to get some
> more trains.
> 7. I stopped by the junction called Clifton where
> the Stamford Sub connects to the Grimsby to look
> around and founda green signal for this westbound
> which showed up only a minute after arrived.
> Anyone know the likely symbol?
> 8. I beat him down to the locks for a shot, and
> lucked out with a couple boats in the background.
> 9. Although rain was threatening from the get go,
> I REALLY got lucky when a brief clear patch of sky
> allowed the sun to light up this GO train
> deadheading to the falls to be in position for the
> morning return run to Toronto. Note the ship on
> the left is lowering in the lock while the one on
> the right has steamed out of view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/17 09:15 by WP17.

Date: 05/29/17 09:13

13. On the way back to the B&B for breakfast, I shot the westbound GO Train from this small overpass between the canal and Clifton. CN had 421 in the picture, but it was REALLY dark, and I was hungry :-)
14. On the way home now, we swung by Welland to explore a bit and were hoping to catch a CP train coming out of the unique tunnel under the canal. Unfortunately, although one was in the area, he was up at the yard switch and we decided to head out, but not before the bulk carrier Thunder Bay passed overhead of the store auto racks below. Have to go back to get a train here!
15. No trip to the falls would be complete without at least ONE shot of the natural wonder itself. I had never seen them at night before...just spectacular! Thanks for looking!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/17 09:14 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 05/29/17 09:17
Author: YankeeDog

A real nice group of pictures in a very interesting spot. Well done

Date: 05/29/17 09:22

WP17 Wrote:
> I see that PittsburghMike posted a couple of the
> photos I was hoping to see while I was composing
> my previous post.
> Didn't have to wait long at all:-)
>
> Well done PittsburghMike
>

Thanks! I hadn't noticed that angle when I was there the night before until after the train had gone, so I went back in the morning specifically to get that shot, lol. Even better/luckier when the sun came out.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/17 10:36 by PittsburghMike.

Date: 05/29/17 10:32
Author: kgmontreal

Did you stay at the Inn at Lock Seven?

KG

Date: 05/29/17 10:40

kgmontreal Wrote:
> Did you stay at the Inn at Lock Seven?
>
> KG

I've heard that place is neat, but since this was more of a romantic getaway, we opted for the Park Place Bed and Breakfast near the Whirlpool Bridge. I highly recommend it for anyone looking to treat their spouse to a nice weekend. Plus, you can do breakfast as late a s 9:30, which is great for allowing your significant other some extended shut eye while you sneak out for some early AM trains.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/29/17 12:07
Author: kgmontreal

The Inn at Lock Seven is kinda retro/funky. But the beds are good and the views are great.

KG

Date: 05/29/17 14:37

kgmontreal Wrote:
> The Inn at Lock Seven is kinda retro/funky. But
> the beds are good and the views are great.
>
> KG

But they don;t bring stuffed french toast to your room, and whirlpool tubs, lol. Treating the wife to some luxury is what helps me bank the points I need to cash in for my various wanderings ;-)

I hope to stay at the lock 7 some time on an upcoming railfan only trip with the guys.

Date: 05/29/17 18:40
Author: grandroad

PittsburghMike - Wonderful set of photos. Thanks for posting.

Paul Brennecke
Golden, CO

Date: 05/30/17 13:02
Author: Langleyrailfan

Great shots Pittsburgh Mike! Brings back alot of memories.

Date: 05/30/17 13:17
Author: cnr6776

No detour to Bayview, eh? There is the RBG for the missus. And those are some fine shots, Mike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/17 13:20 by cnr6776.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0953 seconds