Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Canadian Railroads > 6 for "on this day"

Date: 07/18/17 04:00
6 for "on this day"
Author: hoggerdoug

On this day, July 18, 2007 I ventured out to Deep Creek bridge again, located at mile 330 on the BC Rail Prince George sub. Any how three images of the Rocky Mountaineer Fraser Discovery southbound. I thought this would be my last time on the trail to the bridge, hit a nasty rock hidden in the weeds. My little Ford Ranger was in "bull low", first gear, 4 wheel drive, low range. Wham bang and stall, rolled back a bit, started up and carried on. What's that saying "Ford tough" eh !!

Date: 07/18/17 04:02
Re: 6 for "on this day"

three images, taken a few miles north of Williams Lake BC as the train approaches Norlake. thanks for looking. Doug

Date: 07/18/17 10:02
Author: feclark

I love this train, and especially this livery, although it would have been nice if they'd wrapped the stripes around the nose. At least there's a bit of road dust.
Fred

Date: 07/18/17 10:27
Author: LKeithR

Some of those pics are taken close to where the fires are burning around Williams Lake.
Here's a link to some maps...

http://openmaps.gov.bc.ca/kml/wildfire/map.html

In the upper LH corner of the page click on "Fires of Note" to bring up a list of the
most active and threatening fires in the province. Once you've opened the page for a
particular fire scroll down to near the bottom where it says "Map and Photos" and click on
the link for a PDF map. The maps aren't necessarily 100% current but they do give you an
idea of where the fire is burning...

Edit: Forgot to mention that the two fires near Willies Puddle are the Soda Creek and
Wildwood. There is another fire burning near 150 Mile house (Sugar Cane) but appears to
have been dropped from the Fires of Note list. And of course there is the Gustafsen fire
burning near 100 Mile House.

Pretty scary up there right now--latest number I heard was about 37,000 people evacuated
around the province, most from the Cariboo/Highway 97 corridor area...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/17 10:42 by LKeithR.

Date: 07/18/17 11:01

Thanks Keith. Our Daughter, Husband and grandsons were "evacuate ordered" Saturday evening from Williams Lake. Kate & boys eventually got to Kelowna and flew West jet to Halifax, spend some time with us, 50 percent fare reduction for evacuees. Her husband Alex is now in Prince George, fire support. So far the fire has not entered the boundaries of Williams Lake, a wait and see situation.

Knowing the proximity of the fires, I wonder how Deep Creek bridge and Fifty One Creek bridge fared. If those structures are damaged, could be final death knell to the south-end of the former BC Rail.
Doug

Date: 07/18/17 17:42
Author: jmhemmer

Thanks for your beautiful photographs and your expert commentary on the fire situation. I hope your family and friends remain safe and their property untouched.

Rocky Mountaineer said today that they will operate through the remainder of July between North Vancouver and Lillooet. From there, passengers will ride a bus to Kamloops to spend the night, then five more hours by bus the next day to reach Jasper.

Date: 07/18/17 22:20
Author: railsmith

jmhemmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Rocky Mountaineer said today that they will
> operate through the remainder of July between
> North Vancouver and Lillooet. From there,
> passengers will ride a bus to Kamloops to spend
> the night, then five more hours by bus the next
> day to reach Jasper.

Thanks for the update. With the fare these people are paying (the route via PG is the most expensive because it is three days), Rocky ought to add some cars to the Kamloops-Jasper segment so that the displaced passengers only have to ride a bus between Lillooet and Kamloops.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.06 seconds