Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Canadian Railroads > Dawson the Hard Way

Date: 07/18/17 09:17
Dawson the Hard Way
Author: loleta

Some photos are just easier than others; here are three of the others.
1. Train 579 on the Dawson Creek Sub. (former BC Rail) south of Foss. You can see the railroad's bridge over the Pine River in the distance at right. About two miles of walking, cuts, bruises, and a sprained rotator cuff.
2. 578 crossing the Kiskatinaw River. Two miles of high-speed walking to beat the train here, two much slower miles back.
3. 578 near Sundance. 3 miles of walking and a close encounter with a large, three-legged bear: while a mile and a half from the safety of my truck!

Loleta Fernbridge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/17 10:17 by loleta.

Date: 07/18/17 09:31
Re: Dawson the Hard Way
Author: Milepost_130

Wow! I respect the effort required to record these scenes. Thanks for posting.

Date: 07/18/17 10:06
Author: PasadenaSub

Very nice set of images, thanks for making the effort to get them.

Rich

Date: 07/18/17 10:30
Author: SD45X

👍👍

Date: 07/18/17 11:17
Author: hoggerdoug

Nice images, thanks for the effort and posting of your recent trip along the BC Rail. Perhaps "Loleta" could open a business of "guided and obscure" photo locations along BC Rail. From the sounds of it could incorporate some wildlife viewings as well.

Some additional information, Pine River bridge is located at mile 16.6. Kiskatinaw River bridge mile 46. I recall the bridge is unusual, a "Howe through truss"?? Other trivia at mile 47, is "Campbells Pass" named after Rik "Hollywood" Campbell, had a nasty upset of cars there. At one time the Dawson Creek sub was "east and west" were as all other BCR directions were north & south. Eventually at a time table change, the direction was changed to north-south.

My first experiences on the Dawson Creek 1973, it was a 6 day a week job out of Chetwynd. Mid morning departure and the 59 mile, 3 hour jaunt to Dawson Creek. Drop our train, have a bite to eat, pickup the train the yard crew built and head back to Chetwynd. On Sunday, we would have to spot the TOFC ramps because there was not yard crew available.
Doug

Date: 07/18/17 13:29
Author: railfan

Nice shots and worth the walking to get them!

JT

Date: 07/18/17 14:05
Author: trainjunkie

I've been near all of these locations many times but will never get shots like these for the reasons the OP stated. I'm exhausted just reading about it. LOL!

Nice work!

Date: 07/18/17 20:34
Author: TCnR

Great stuff, thanks for the explanations and a current look at the surrounding foliage. I doubt the BCR book has the angle with the vines growing up the trestle.
t4p.

Date: 07/19/17 15:47
Author: loleta

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Some additional information, Pine River bridge is
> located at mile 16.6. Kiskatinaw River bridge mile
> 46. I recall the bridge is unusual, a "Howe
> through truss"??
>
> Doug

Here's a better photo of the bridge from August 2016.

- L.F.

Date: 07/19/17 18:23
Author: tsokolan

Great shots! Thanks for going the extra mile to capture some amazing views of the Dawson Creek Sub!
-Trevor

Date: 07/20/17 17:04
Author: 3rdswitch

Outstanding effort and results!
JB

Date: 07/24/17 14:22
Author: ns1000

Very nice..!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0912 seconds