Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Canadian Railroads > Sweet evening light

Date: 07/22/17 03:51
Sweet evening light
Author: kgmontreal

The northern limit of CSX's empire is Beauharnois, Quebec. At one time predecessor roads NYC, PC and Conrail continued north beyond Beauharnois to Montreal. But in today's world the Montreal Secondary ends at Beauharnois where there is transload facility and the Axiall chemical plant.

Beauharnois has two switch jobs and a through freight which arrives in the early morning and departs at suppertime. With long summer daylight I decided to photograph the through freight yesterday evening. This train was a Q series intermodal that served the newly opened Valleyfield container terminal about 10 miles west of Beauharnois. Now the train handles regular freight from Beauharnois on the the headend and adds the double stacks on the tailend after Valleyfield.

Although CSX has greatly improved the track on the Montreal Secondary in recent years, the portion from Beauharnois to Valleyfield is still jointed rail with a ridiculously slow speed limit that had the train crawling along. It's shown here at St Timothy having taken an hour to travel six miles or so.

Ken Goslett

Date: 07/22/17 05:33
Re: Sweet evening light
Author: bridgeportsub

Interesting narration. You provided info I did not know . Great shot too. Lighting is just perfect.

Randy

Date: 07/22/17 19:55
Author: inCHI

Agreed, interesting info.

Date: 07/22/17 22:44
Author: feclark

I know it's not K64, but that is just so saturated (is that even an appropriate term for digital?). Anyway, lovely shot.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0308 seconds