Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN Tank Cars - Water and CN Marine Service

Date: 07/22/17 23:25
CN Tank Cars - Water and CN Marine Service
Author: feclark

In case people don't keep following Mike Bannon's previous thread from yesterday (or the day before, if I don't complete this on time), at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4343088, he had a shot of an insulated water service car with heater and smoke jack. Various replies suggested maybe this was unique, but this isn't the case. This thread will have four photos.
1. CN 80160 was shot at Acheson, AB on May 23, 1982, in a string of MOW/OCS cars, designated "Water Service Only". You'll see the applied insulation, and the smoke jack (which, to be honest, I had never realized was there until Mike's post. Thanks, Mike!). So, different number, and also CN noodle. For you modellers, note the simple wooden ladder on the running board. Wrap some aluminum foil around a tank car model?
2. CN 80403 was shot in a string of MOW just north of Dunvegan Junction on April 15, 1999. I wouldn't dream of just walking up here now to shoot stuff; I'm sure I'd be greeted and booted. Anyway, you'll notice the lack of insulation and heating mechanism. It's Water Transporter, Potable Water Only (spray paint underlining for emphasis).
3. CN 80393 shot at Jasper on August 13, 2001, looking like the one in the previous shot. This angle shows the stencilling a little more clearly: "Water must not be allowed to freeze in this tank Always drain when not in use".
Next tank car is definitely [?] not water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/17 12:17 by feclark.

Date: 07/22/17 23:30
Re: CN Tanks - Water and CN Marine Service

4. To complete the quad, here's one I shot at Borden on PEI on June 28, 1983. It's 058638 (very much faded out), and given the colour, I think it's CN Marine, and I'm guessing fuel for the ferry, but I don't know for sure. Yes, I know I should have also shot the tank truck cropped off on the right (sorry, arwye), but this was slides, not digital, and I had a limited supply of K64 with me on my PEI trip. I love these old fuel tanks, with the surround walkway. CP had some of these as well. In general, I love seeing all the rolling stock that's showing up in the last week. We need relief from widenose GEs.
Fred

Date: 07/23/17 03:45
Author: kgmontreal

What else did you shoot on PEI in 1983?

KG

Date: 07/23/17 05:08
Author: algoma11

Good stuff Fred-love the old cars!

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 07/23/17 05:47
Author: moonliter

Neat photos...sorry that I did not take more but with the price and availability of Kodachrome outside I tended to focus on trains and stations. I think we owe a lot to those who model (and photograph) for and taking the time and expense for shooting equipment and detail photos, thanks.

Love the friction bearings and polling pockets on the Borden, PEI tank car.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 07/23/17 07:23
Author: DundasMP23

Photo of a more modern CN water car attached. Built 11-66, still in service 2014-10-08. Photo taken in Brantford, ON.

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Date: 07/23/17 11:02

DundasMP23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo of a more modern CN water car attached.
> Built 11-66, still in service 2014-10-08. Photo
> taken in Brantford, ON.

Nice addition to the thread; thanks for posting.
Fred

Date: 07/23/17 11:05

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What else did you shoot on PEI in 1983?
>
> KG

Obviously the gaggle of RSC-14s in action (see post of December 12, 2016 at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4178650), the stations, plows, and a couple of the GE 70t (but stuck in the shops, not outside). Some day, when time permits ... although I also have in mind to try to put something together for TRP, and don't want to duplicate the effort or scoop that. Also working on a book on something else, so that's my priority and delays that idea.
Fred

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/17 11:09 by feclark.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0554 seconds