Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Canadian Railroads > A Sunny Monday

Date: 07/25/17 19:17
A Sunny Monday
Author: cn6218

There are no more MLW Mondays in Nova Scotia since the last RS-23 on the Windsor and Hantsport was retired and cut up about 10 years ago, but with a day off from work and the promise of sunny skies, I was up early in search of 120 and whatever else I could find. I did make contact with 120 at Folly Lake (mile 24, Springhill Sub) about 07:15. I was driving past the west end of the siding when I heard an SBU squawk on the scanner, and had just enough time to relocate to the other end of the lake (and siding) for the video in the next post. Even after waiting for the entire train to clear, I was able to get back on the road and beat the train to the East Mines Trestle at mile 14.5, 14 minutes later.

The RTC was planning to have 120 meet 407 at Alton, on the Bedford Sub. The Bedford Sub runs north east from Halifax, even though it is timetable west, making it more suitable for westbounds early in the morning. I had a spot in mind for 407 at the mile 44 detector, but just as I got off the highway at Stewiacke, I heard the detector go off, and this overhead shot at 07:59 will have to suffice for now.

I did have plenty of time to stay ahead of 120 though, and caught them again at the Windsor Jct. interlocking (where the track does finally turn to the east) at 09:15. The train is actually accelerating here after stopping just short of the signal because of a stop indication. 501, a Rockingham local, had the main line tied up at Bedford Quarry, and didn't get out of the way in time.

GTD

Date: 07/25/17 19:31
Re: A Sunny Monday
Author: cn6218

By now, 511, the empty gypsum train from Dartmouth was also in the picture, and expected at the junction just after 10:00. That gave me plenty of time to get breakfast and relocate to a suitable westbound location for this shot of a pair of SD70M-2s and about 65 empty hoppers at mile 24, heading to East Milford. Years ago, the gypsum trains drew a pair of 6-axle MLWs, sometimes spliced by an RS-18. More recently, the SD70/75s were the preferred power, with a pair able to easily handle the usual 7500 ton trains out of the mine and over the Dartmouth Sub. Oddly, GEs have been shunned for this job, partly because of their tendency to slip violently. One conductor had a very close call when he was thrown off the back of the train when shoving into the Wrights Cove dumper, and the wheel of the car sliced his jacket sleeve, fortunately missing the arm itself. He was still off work for a couple months because of the fall, but at least still had all his limbs.

Finally, the first shot of the day is last. Video of the complete 120 near the east end of Folly Lake siding. Power was 2960, 2592 and 8841 up front, with 2891 as the DPU. A cloud messed up the exposure in the middle of the train, but at least both ends were well lit.

GTD

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/25/17 20:10
Author: kgmontreal

Great photos, Geoff. Really like the video with the reflection. Well done.

Ken

Date: 07/26/17 10:19
Author: Goldie

Well done!

Date: 07/26/17 11:55
Author: goneon66

great video and thanks for showing the whole train........

Date: 07/26/17 18:25
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Great Video!  Congrats on Video of the Day!

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 07/27/17 19:36
Author: bobk

Great shots and video!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds