Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Canadian Railroads > Shortline Sunday - We Get Requests: RLK 2099 on Vancouver Island

Date: 09/17/17 09:50
Shortline Sunday - We Get Requests: RLK 2099 on Vancouver Island
Author: feclark

Last week for Shortline Sunday I posted some ENR shots at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4376090.
In a Reply, tsokolan asked if I'd any shots of "the GP20" in service on the Island (Trevor: any chance your curiosity was driven by your familiarity with the unit from its service on Lakeland & Waterways #579 to and from Edmonton in the late 1990s?). My thread title is a jazz reference; does anyone know it? Anyway, here's the result, four photos to share.
1. From July 12, 2001, this shot is from the road that carried you over the former E&N Wellcox Yard to the yard office and other port destinations in Nanaimo. I thought the roof perspective might be more interesting. Things I always liked about the GP20 were the slope to the top of the short hood, the big exhaust fan housings, and the more robust radiator shutter grids.
2. Because it was available to me, I got the nose shot almost two weeks later, July 25, 2001; the overhead road used for photo 1 is visible here, if you're not familiar with it. There is a long history to this unit in terms of owners; I'll summarize by saying that it was born in 1961 to the CB&Q as its 902, according to the TSG.
3. The same day, a telephoto shot of 2099 paired with ENR GP10 1001, cued up for a movement that didn't happen in the time I had available before reconnecting with my family on our vacation. Oops, forgot to mention this when I first posted, but the passenger equipment on the right is from the Pacific Wilderness tourist train venture that had just been shut down.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/17 10:00 by feclark.

Date: 09/17/17 09:55
Re: Shortline Sunday - We Get Requests: RLK 2099 on Vancouver Isl

4. To complete the post, here's a road shot of the same pair taken a day later, at 0910 on July 26, 2001, southbound almost certainly to Duncan, or more accurately, the Top Shelf feed mill at Koksilah on the south side of Duncan. There are 7 cars, comprising covered hoppers (various grains) and tanks (the ENR served a number of propane facilities). The morning SB run was always beautifully lit, and I could do some chasing before I had to get back to the family in Parksville, who would finally be up and about and ready for the day. This location is Timberlands Road, south of Cassidy, the grade crossing being MP 63.14. A shot of the same train a few miles north/earlier, at the Nanaimo Lakes Road, MP 65.something, appeared with my article in the March/April 2016 Branchline.
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/17 10:36 by feclark.

Date: 09/20/17 13:18
Author: tsokolan

Thanks Fred! I wish I could say I shot the 2099 in the Edmonton area during the Railink era, but sadly I didn't shoot much of the short line before it was gone. The only time I shot the unit was in 2004 at Wellcox Yard, at that point the unit was stored as a back up to the other GP38's

-Trevor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/17 13:18 by tsokolan.

Date: 09/21/17 12:38

Neat shot showing the march of time; I guess once I get through my Island stuff, I can go after the Lakeland and Waterways/Railink I have (maybe before Christmas? Who has time before they retire?).
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds