Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Canadian Railroads > Shortline Sunday - ENR Southbound Freight Near Cassidy, BC

Date: 09/24/17 11:25
Shortline Sunday - ENR Southbound Freight Near Cassidy, BC
Author: feclark

Two Sundays ago I posted some ENR at Wellcox Yard in Nanaimo, and last week the Railink 2099 in service on ENR. This week back to ENR livery, with two shots of a morning southbound to Koksilah and the Top Shelf Feeds mill; south side of Duncan. The date is July 22, 2003.
1. One of the prime spots to shoot south of Nanaimo, this is the grade crossing with the Nanaimo River Road (last week re:2099, I called this the Nanaimo Lake Road; it takes you to that Lake, as signage indicates), MP 65.52. It's one of the few relatively open spots, presumably because they cleared trees back of the crossing for visibility/safety. The road approaches this crossing on a steep climb and turn. I'm standing on the concrete Jersey barrier to change the angle a bit. The power is GP38s 3809 and 3870, time is 0920, and there are four covered hoppers and perhaps something else. The uncertainty is because of the next shot.
2. This is maybe a few miles south; I've labelled my slide Cassidy, and MP 64, but that's probably not accurate. I don't think I ever went up to the grade crossing to read the mileage, because I was always on the chase here. Having taken the first shot, I dove down the hill onto the highway in hot pursuit, hoping I might get to this shot from the parking lot edge by the gas station complex here. Well, I made it with time to spare; in fact, I'd wondered if the train had beaten me so badly that it was long gone and I missed it. But no, at 0933, it showed up with four covered hoppers only. I could only guess that it had set out a propane tank between the two locations; the Turner and MacLachlan book on the E&N shows two spurs in the area. Lucky for me, at any rate.
Fred

Date: 09/24/17 11:46
Re: Shortline Sunday - ENR Southbound Freight Near Cassidy, BC
Author: PHall

Always thought is was "interesting" to see Rail America operating in Canada.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0359 seconds