Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Canadian Railroads > Canadian Trip Questions

Date: 09/25/17 08:11
Canadian Trip Questions
Author: prech786

Does the Canadian have a better record of departing Vancouver on-time then it does departing Toronto? When I rode the Canadian out of Toronto last time it was an 8 hours late departure. This was due to a 12 hours late same-day arrival of #2 from Vancouver. Does the Vancouver departure time rely on a timely same-day arrival of #1 from Toronto? I'm referring here to the off-season schedule of the Canadian (March-April time frame).

This trip idea is actually a VAN-TOR-MONT-HALIFAX journey. For insurance I'm allowing an overnight in Toronto. Then a Corridor train to Montreal with a 5 hour connection layover to the Ocean. I'm assuming this last segment connecting in Montreal is safe without an overnight layover?

Thoughts or Opinions? Thanks for any insights.

Date: 09/25/17 09:49
Re: Canadian Trip Questions
Author: andersonb109

There is a second set of equipment in Vancouver. And without looking, isn't it a two day turn? (No. 2 not leaving the same day as No. 1 arrival). Check the web site to be sure. Smart to allow an overnight in Toronto. A great city with good hotels right next to the station. A big bed and shower for the night.

Date: 09/25/17 12:03
Author: sandy126

It appears #1 is now 21 hours late to Vancouver... that's nuts! I don't see how it can survive running like that without government intervention to assist. I love that train but a dat late and extra is just not worth it. Very sad....

Date: 09/25/17 14:16
Author: DrawingroomA

In the off-peak season arrivals in Vancouver are Wed. and Sat. Departures are Tues. and Fri. So there is little reason for a late departure. There is plenty of spare equipment in Vancouver in the off-peak and last winter there was a fair bit in Toronto. There has not always been a spare Prestige sleeper and Park car in Toronto.

Connections between Toronto-Montreal trains and the Ocean are usually reliable.

Date: 09/26/17 10:38
Author: rschonfelder

I just received an email from a friend of #1 being 21 hours late last night (the 25th September) into Kamloops. It was supposed to be here at 1930 on the 24th.

There are some reports of #2 being late out of Vancouver as well lately.

Rick

Date: 09/26/17 14:56
Author: jp1822

VIA and CN need to go back to the drawing board like they did in 2010 to negotiate the schedule. Not sure what EXACTLY brought them to the table in 2010, but poor time keeping was certainly front and foremost on VIA's mind and they thought the "new" schedule that emerged from meeting with CN would "solve" or minimize the problems with timekeeping. It didn't, so try and try again. It's been seven years. I am surprised that the hotels in Jasper, especially, are not complaining about the situation. The hotels in Jasper take in a LOT of VIA passengers in the summer months. The market between Vancouver and Jasper is also VERY strong and VIA has often wanted to put a six day a week train in place between these two points.

Someone posted that perhaps it is time to have talks with CP and run more on it than CN. I doubt that would work, but let's just say it would be a "nice" to have in a perfect world, particularly a transcon passenger train on the CP route from Winnipeg to Vancouver via Kamloops. Then just a train from Edmonton to Vancouver via Jasper, thus still connecting with the Jasper to Prince Rupert train. The high speed Calgary-Edmonton train route could even unite the "northern" and "southern" rout. Such a train on the "southern route" would also take passengers to where they would more likely want to go (heavily populated cities). Yes, politics are involved here with Rocky Mountaineer, but Rocky has also curtailed service back to Banff (no longer serving Calgary). Rocky and VIA also serve two different markets, but that's another story that both parties don't see eye to eye with. It's wishful thinking to put a passenger train back on CP (aside from commuter trains). Trackage east of Winnipeg would likely be better on CP too, (especially for scenery), but a trade-off may have to be at hand to reach the northern "remote" communities. It was once in place though!

All could be a very mute point once the 60+ year old Budd equipment begins to majorly fail. I doubt VIA is going into the business of trying to buy money losing long distance equipment. It's concerning at present even with the Renaissance equipment that doesn't appear to be holding up well with Canadian weather/climates and elements of the Canadian environment that seem to be hastening to corrosion.

Date: 09/26/17 14:58
Author: DrawingroomA

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just received an email from a friend of #1 being
> 21 hours late last night (the 25th September) into
> Kamloops. It was supposed to be here at 1930 on
> the 24th.
>
> There are some reports of #2 being late out of
> Vancouver as well lately.
>
> Rick

I had heard that one departure this month departed Vancouver about two hours late. I had a look at VIA's on-line information and every departure from the 1st to the 24th was showing as on time, except for the 21st, for which there is no information that I could find. Perhaps that was the one.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds