Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Canadian Railroads > Switcher Saturday - CP S-3 and Elevator at Portage La Prairie

Date: 10/14/17 16:03
Switcher Saturday - CP S-3 and Elevator at Portage La Prairie
Author: feclark

Last week, I posted a CP MLW S-4 working Brandon, Manitoba, at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4392972.
As part of the switcher chronicle of my almost cross-country odyssey of 1984, this week's post is from the next day, July 11, where the morning got me to Portage La Prairie. My luck with MLW switchers in the west held up.
1. S-3 6569 works the McCallister Pea and Seed Cleaners Ltd. elevators, a lovely structure that is perfect for modelling, with some artistic licence. You tend to think of MLW power being restricted to the east, but apart from the SW1200RS, a road-switcher/switcher hybrid, CP only had GM switchers 6700-6720, and 7400-7405 (captive Agincourt hump power). So there was lots of demand for the MLWs out west, before the GP9u program pumped out enough of those. Brandon had a handful of stored S-series switchers the day before, Alyth had a quartet from various sources a year or two previous.
2. Another angle of the same movement, I walked in to this spur off the north side of CP's main. The white stripes are beginning to vanish off the primer, but it still looked and sounded wonderful.
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/17 15:29 by feclark.

Date: 10/14/17 17:37
Re: Switcher Saturday - CP S-3 and Elevator at Portage La Prairie
Author: CPR_4000

Nice classic railroading. Ex-Spruce Falls Power & Paper cars?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/17 17:39 by CPR_4000.

Date: 10/14/17 17:48
Author: refarkas

First-class images.
Bob

Date: 10/15/17 04:30
Author: kgmontreal

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice classic railroading. Ex-Spruce Falls Power &
> Paper cars?

They do look like the ex=Spruce Falls cars which CP leased.

KG

Date: 10/15/17 12:43
Author: feclark

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CPR_4000 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice classic railroading. Ex-Spruce Falls Power
> &
> > Paper cars?
>
>
> They do look like the ex=Spruce Falls cars which
> CP leased.
>
> KG

If it helps, I checked my roster shot of the 6569, and the coupled car shows as CPAA 89966, and the lettering is "Hydroframe -60". Richard Yaremko's Canadian Railcar Pictorial Vol. 3A, CP 50-60' and 86' Boxcars Part 2, has ex-Spruce Falls P&P in the 89981-89999 number series; it's not explicit that there were no lower number series, just that he had illustration of a representative of that higher number group. It's hard to tell when things are so grimy, but I don't see the Portage cars as having a green base colour. For what it's worth.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds