Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Canadian Railroads > Thanks KG for the Headsup!

Date: 11/15/17 19:06
Thanks KG for the Headsup!
Author: cn6218

I got a message from KG yesterday about lunch time, saying that today's 120 into Halifax would have some rather uncommon power. 2 BCOLs, 2 cowls, and all-GE (well, the GE part isn't that uncommon)! We didn't have the good weather today the Montreal area was enjoying, so I didn't stray very far from home to shoot this, just my usual haunt of Birch Cove, a mile west of Rockingham Yard in Halifax. The train had made good time, arriving just after 0900, or about 2 hours earlier than I had expected it. Power up front was 2968, 2413 and BCOL 4612, with BCOL 4652 as the DPU. The detector at Windsor Jct. counted 656 axles.

GTD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/17 19:20 by cn6218.

Date: 11/15/17 19:17
Re: Thanks KG for the Headsup!

4652 appeared to be well behaved as it slowly rolled past at Birch Cove, but the 501 yard job was going to use it to take a transfer to Ocean Terminals, since their single 9400 would have a hard time with almost 4600 feet of train in the cut to downtown. As they rolled under me in the cut and I watched the voluminous black smoke and listened to the burbling, I couldn't help but be reminded of the Windsor & Hantsport's RS-23s, which could produce almost the same effect, albeit on a slightly smaller scale. Ironically, 501's engineer is a former W&H man, having gone to work for CN after the shortline folded in 2010.

The other happening of note today was the departure of the Budd RDCs on the Ocean. There were some conflicting reports about whether this would happen today or Friday, but as the picture and video show, all 3 left on the rear of 15 today. Once again, I carefully adjusted the audio record level on the video DSLR, but forgot to turn on the mic, so this video is another MOS (D'oh!).

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/17 19:18 by cn6218.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/15/17 20:37
Author: CPR_4000

Why are some of the containers single stacked? Weight?

Date: 11/15/17 22:05
Author: gaspeamtrak

Great pictures ! The video was still interesting to watch ! Thank you for sharing!!! :):):)

Date: 11/16/17 03:38
Author: kgmontreal

Those came out well.

Ken

Date: 11/16/17 08:41

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why are some of the containers single stacked?
> Weight?

If they are 20 ft. containers, probably because of weight. For the longer ones (intermodal right behind the head end power), it likely means they just didn't have enough traffic to fill out the train. I believe the intermodal cars travel as a block between HIT and BIT (Halifax and Brampton). It's easier to just leave them that way, rather than switch out empties. And they may need the capacity on the return trip anyway. I have noticed a lot more empty well cars coming into Halifax lately. Usually traffic is quite well balanced.

GTD

Date: 11/17/17 11:14
Author: Thumper

gaspeamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great pictures ! The video was still interesting
> to watch ! Thank you for sharing!!! :):):)

Geoff you being a "radio" man, am thinking
"dead" air has happened. Mind the video itself was superb.

Bryce Lee

Date: 11/21/17 13:17

Thumper Wrote:
> Geoff you being a "radio" man, am thinking
> "dead" air has happened. Mind the video itself
> was superb.
>

Yes, I hang my head in shame. :-(

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds