Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Canadian Railroads > How did VIA 1 get out on time last night?

Date: 11/19/17 09:03
How did VIA 1 get out on time last night?
Author: jbwest

I notice that last night's VIA 1 must have gotten away more or less on time since it is well out of town and only an hour or so late. But yesterday's VIA 2 didn't get into Toronto until around 8 p.m. I can only assume that VIA has assembled an extra consist at Toronto. A week ago in a similar situation the train did not leave until Sunday morning presumably because there was no spare consist at Toronto. Or does it have more to do with crew rest and perhaps this time they flew a relief crew in from Winnipeg and perhaps cleaning and restocking can be done quickly if there is a rested crew available.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/17 09:10 by jbwest.

Date: 11/19/17 13:43
Re: How did VIA 1 get out on time last night?
Author: andersonb109

With the smaller off season consist, there should be enough for an extra set in Toronto. But that wouldn't explain the crew rest situation. Apparently, according to the bar tender on The Canadian last June, only 5 hours is mandatory.

Date: 11/19/17 15:51
Author: viatrainrider

And on my recent trip, was told it takes 6 hours to service and get the train into station pointed correctly. However, noted on transit docs last nights #1 was not out of station until 0120. But suspect an off season additional set of equipment is now at Toronto. On my recent eastbound #2, there were 2 or maybe 3 Chateau sleepers being deadheaded into Toronto. However, I realize most sleepers on # 1 = 2 are Manor.

Date: 11/19/17 16:07
Author: ghCBNS

The Canadian is not turned in Toronto. In comes down the Bala Sub and once unloaded....it's just continues west to the TMC (Toronto Maintenance Centre). After servicing....it backs east to Union Station for loading.

Normal operation is to then head forward up the Newmarket Sub. If for some reason the Newmarket can't be used.....the Canadian will continue backing east through Union and back-up the Bala Sub to Doncaster where it reverses on the York Sub and heads forward...north on the Bala.

Date: 11/19/17 18:30

Thanks for your info on the backup move. On Train 1, I had always departed going west to New Market; however, last Tuesday did the back up move. Wasn't sure where we were in the dark. Only thing I now do not know is why we did the back up move as opposed to the usual move west.

Date: 11/20/17 01:41
Author: ghCBNS

viatrainrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for your info on the backup move. On Train
> 1, I had always departed going west to New Market;
> however, last Tuesday did the back up move.

Here’s a map I did for a trip report on the Canadian back in 2006 when we too did the back-up move on the Bala Sub to Doncaster. This was in daylight as the Canadian departed Toronto in the morning back then on the old 3/night schedule.

The map also shows the usual route up the Newmarket Sub....back-up move at Snider....then forward on the York sub to Doncaster.

Date: 11/20/17 08:10

WOW!! Thank you very much!!!

Date: 11/20/17 08:43

That is a nice summary.

JBWX

Date: 11/20/17 09:17
Author: exrtc

It didn't. No 1 left Toronto at 0130- 3 1/2 Jours late. The OBS crew has 4 hous off the train and doubled out. We are currently iin Winnipeg, having arrived 1 hour late.

Chris Rye

Date: 11/20/17 09:35

exrtc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It didn't. No 1 left Toronto at 0130- 3 1/2 Jours
> late. The OBS crew has 4 hous off the train and
> doubled out. We are currently iin Winnipeg,
> having arrived 1 hour late.
>
> Chris Rye

Thanks for the correction, apparently the train made up some time before I saw the transitdoc's location Sunday morning...I think at that point it was less than two hours late so I assumed it got out more or less on time. It would be interesting what considerations drive the decision making. In a similar situation a week earlier VIA put us up in the Royal York for a night and the train left Sunday morning at 9 a.m., which for us at least was preferable to waiting around in the lounge until 1:30 a.m. I wonder why our departure was done that way, and yours was done differently. I would think 4 hours off for the OBS crew would be unacceptable, or I wonder if that is a matter of crew choice....perhaps your crew wanted to get home sooner than later. The Sunday morning departure for us worked great because we had a wonderful daylight trip down the Fraser canyon which for everyone we talked with more than offset the daylight ride through Jasper. As an old railway person it is fascinating how you "manage" a passenger train that is so often half a day late.

JBWX

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds