Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Canadian Railroads > Will Fred Frailey's Train Beat my all Time Late Record?

Date: 12/06/17 18:09
Will Fred Frailey's Train Beat my all Time Late Record?
Author: andersonb109

It looks like he has a chance. Mine record lateness is 22 hours but that was mostly due to a derailment/blockage on the CN main line near Long Lac, ON. We detoured on the CN to Red Rock, then CP to Sudbury, some industrial line to Sudbury Junction, then CN heading back west to Capriol. Then a bus to Toronto (including a "comfort" stop at a local Timmies in Perry Sound). Fred's train is currently 17.5 hours late in BC. It's already 6P in Vancouver and No.1 still has hours to go. In reality the run hasn't been to bad by CN standards, given they departed Toronto 14 hours late due to late arriving No. 2. The entire thing is a joke. Imagine someone in say Hinton waiting 12 hours past scheduled time for the train to arrive? If they don't live there, is VIA putting them up in a hotel while they wait? Sure stuff happens. But this is a regular occurrence. Current No. 1 in Ontario is on time. Anyone want to bet how late they will be after Winnipeg? Amtrak at times has had some really late running. We joke about the "Late Shore Ltd." and "Coast Starlate" but they both look like star performers compared with this mess. Sure, the Canadian is largely a tourist train. Regardless, passengers should be able to expect something close to the posted schedule unless weather mechanical or an accident play a roll in a delay. Good grief, you could fly round trip to Vancouver twice in the amount of time this train is late!

Date: 12/06/17 18:18
Re: Will Fred Frailey's Train Beat my all Time Late Record?
Author: Train611

Via #1 (12-02) arrived in Kamloops at 1625 today.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/06/17 19:04
Author: jbwest

I suppose it depends on how you define late. A friend's VIA 1 got as far as Sioux Lookout before it was annulled due to a derailment west of there, and the pax bused to Winnipeg. At Winnipeg they were given the option of a plane ticket to Vancouver, or they could wait a couple of days for the next train. My friend and his wife chose to wait, VIA picked up the hotel and food bill. When their train pulled in it had both consists which got them as far as Kamloops before mud slides in the canyon put them on a second bus to Vancouver. So they arrived something like three days late.

JBWX

Date: 12/07/17 13:35
Author: DrawingroomA

Number 1 arrived in Vancouver at 07:49 - 22 hours and seven minutes late. It departed Toronto at 10:45 on the day after it was due to depart; it started out 12 hours and 45 minutes late. So some might interpret the lateness as just under 10 hours. I, of course, would not make that interpretation.

Date: 12/07/17 14:13
Author: reindeerflame

Do not patronize.

Date: 12/08/17 18:32
Author: tq-07fan

reindeerflame Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do not patronize.

Yeah, it kinda blows my mind too that people still fill the thing up. A lot of money for so much uncertainty.

Jim

Date: 12/08/17 18:44
Author: CarolVoss

We took the train in Prestige class from Vancouver to Toronto for the experience of the train itself and the country traversed. We were not in a hurry to get anywhere, could have made travel changes to accommodate the time issues, and woukd do it again.
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 12/08/17 21:15

CarolVoss Wrote:
> We took the train in Prestige class from Vancouver
> to Toronto for the experience of the train itself
> and the country traversed. We were not in a hurry
> to get anywhere, could have made travel changes to
> accommodate the time issues, and woukd do it
> again.
> C

I agree Carol, the ride is the destination, whether you are in Prestige or Sleeper. Our recent trip was around ten hours late and my traveling companion and I are signed up to go again (our wives are happy to stay home). Some people can't understand why we do it over and over, but it is the ultimate relaxation (once you have realized that you need a hotel reservation at the other end AND a late the following day connection). We always meet neat people and have a great time solving the problems of the world in the Park car. And in between those conversations I usually read at least two books.

JBWX

Date: 12/08/17 23:08
Author: railsmith

tq-07fan Wrote:
> reindeerflame Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Do not patronize.
>
> Yeah, it kinda blows my mind too that people still
> fill the thing up. A lot of money for so much
> uncertainty.
>
> Jim

A lot of money? From January through March you can travel the whole distance in an upper berth for $752 Cdn, which equates to $560 US. Do you really think that's too much for a four-night travel experience with at least 10 meals included?

And if you're really lucky, and experience one of the delays that is so common on the westbound train, you'll get to see British Columbia's fabulous Thompson and Fraser canyons in daylight. If I boarded in Toronto, I'd be hoping for that, and am pleased that I've actually experienced it.

Seems like a bargain to me.

Date: 12/09/17 12:59
Author: xcnsnake

Bonus: in the off-season they even give the "unwashed" (i.e. non-Prestige passengers) access to the Park Car, correct?

Date: 12/09/17 14:16
Author: railsmith

xcnsnake Wrote:
> Bonus: in the off-season they even give the
> "unwashed" (i.e. non-Prestige passengers) access
> to the Park Car, correct?

Regular sleeping car passengers have access to the Park car year-round. In the peak season, there are some restrictions.

Date: 12/09/17 14:25
Author: ghCBNS

xcnsnake Wrote:
> Bonus: in the off-season they even give the
> "unwashed" (i.e. non-Prestige passengers) access
> to the Park Car, correct?

Here’s VIA’s Park Car Policy:

http://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/lecanadien/AMENITIES_ENG.pdf?ga_pdf=compare-amenities

“Access to the Prestige Park car: During peak season*, access to the Prestige Park Car will be limited to scheduled times for Sleeper Plus passengers. Sleeper Plus passengers will be able to access the Prestige Park car on the following schedule: from 4:00PM until last call 10:30PM, with the exception of evenings upon departure from Toronto and Vancouver where access will be exclusive to Prestige passengers. Scheduled access times are subject to change.

*Peak Season 2018: April 29 – October 11, 2018

A select number of seats in the Prestige Park car are reserved for our Prestige passengers at all times in the scenic dome (year-round).”

Date: 12/09/17 17:40

As a point of interest: The next Canadian after Fred's left Toronto on time (5th Dec.) and was often 30 to 40 minutes early at many stops in Ontario. It arrived in Vancouver this morning at 11:19, a mere hour and 37 minutes late.

Date: 12/09/17 17:52
Author: Slumbercoach

DrawingroomA Wrote:
> As a point of interest: The next Canadian after
> Fred's left Toronto on time (5th Dec.) and was
> often 30 to 40 minutes early at many stops in
> Ontario. It arrived in Vancouver this morning at
> 11:19, a mere hour and 37 minutes late.
It sounds like Fred Frailey's presence on the previous run may have shaken things up a bit over at CN. Probably just a dream, though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/17 17:54 by Slumbercoach.

Date: 12/09/17 17:58
Author: RuleG

There's a bizarre double standard here. Much of the time, when Amtrak trains run late, there is some very critical commentary on Trainorders. However, in this thread and in previous threads, several posters give VIA and CN pass.

I understand - it is, unfortunately, difficult for Amtrak's long-distance to adhere to published schedules for various reasons, many (most?) of which are outside of Amtrak's control. However, most of the time, when Amtrak long-distance trains run late, they arrive at their destinations well under ten or more hours late.

On a recent long-distance trip, we arrived one hour late, which was OK with me because I got to see more western scenery. Arriving one hour late did not lessen the enjoyment of my trip. I don't know that I would tolerate ten hours late whether on Amtrak or VIA.

Date: 12/09/17 18:53
Author: Streamliner

CarolVoss Wrote:
> We took the train in Prestige class from Vancouver
> to Toronto for the experience of the train itself
> and the country traversed. We were not in a hurry
> to get anywhere, could have made travel changes to
> accommodate the time issues, and woukd do it
> again.
> C

That’s exactly what we are doing! In Prestige Class. Arriving in Vancouver two days prior to departure, flying home out of Toronto, three days after scheduled arrival. The more time on the train, the merrier!

Date: 12/09/17 22:27

RuleG Wrote:
> There's a bizarre double standard here. Much of
> the time, when Amtrak trains run late, there is
> some very critical commentary on Trainorders.
> However, in this thread and in previous threads,
> several posters give VIA and CN pass.
>
> I understand - it is, unfortunately, difficult for
> Amtrak's long-distance to adhere to published
> schedules for various reasons, many (most?) of
> which are outside of Amtrak's control. However,
> most of the time, when Amtrak long-distance trains
> run late, they arrive at their destinations well
> under ten or more hours late.
>
> On a recent long-distance trip, we arrived one
> hour late, which was OK with me because I got to
> see more western scenery. Arriving one hour late
> did not lessen the enjoyment of my trip. I don't
> know that I would tolerate ten hours late whether
> on Amtrak or VIA.

It is not really bizarre, it makes a lot of sense. VIA has much superior service and ambience relative to Amtrak. Also The Canadian is made up of equipment that can only be described as a rolling monument to the days of the great domeliners. The people who don't object to the extra time on the Canadian appreciate and enjoy all that that, it makes the train a destination in itself, to be enjoyed independent of any "travel" need or schedule. Amtrak service is fairly utilitarian, except for the Coast Starlight with its PCC. You can have a good ride on Amtrak, but even at its best Amtrak is not up to the standards of The Canadian. For many folks extra hours on Amtrak just is not as pleasant as similar time spent on the Canadian. But your mileage may vary, each person has his own idea of what is a good time.

JBWX

Date: 12/10/17 05:07

RuleG Wrote:
> There's a bizarre double standard here. Much of
> the time, when Amtrak trains run late, there is
> some very critical commentary on Trainorders.
> However, in this thread and in previous threads,
> several posters give VIA and CN pass.
>
> ...

It isn't necessarily a double standard. Perhaps it is different people commenting on Amtrak vs VIA. I make no comments regarding Amtrak because it doesn't interest me in the least. There are no doubt many in the U.S. who care not about VIA.

Although last Tuesday's #1 did quite well, because #2 due in Toronto yesterday (Saturday the 9th)morning arrived almost 12 hours late, departure of #1 is set for 09:00 Sunday the 10th.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/17 05:20 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 12/10/17 14:51
Author: RuleG

Yes, I understand that the Canadian offers more amenities and a superior level of service. If we were talking about 3 - 5 hours late, I would not have posted my comments. However, 10 - 12 hours late is excessive. That's a lot of time spent not running or running at very low speeds, both of which would detract from my enjoyment of the ride, no matter how nice things are on board.

I love train travel, but I also very much enjoy visiting the places served by those trains. Arriving 10 - 12 hours late means much less time to enjoy those places. I'm sure most VIA patrons who are not hard-core railfans would share that view.

Date: 12/10/17 17:35
Author: tq-07fan

jbwest Wrote:
> >
> <snip!>
> >
> > But your mileage may vary,
> each person has his own idea of what is a good
> time.
>
> JBWX

My favourite trip across Canada was a 33 hour Greyhound Canada trip from Sudbury to Moose Jaw twenty years ago. Amenities are important for some but I wouldn't trade them for all the fun I had on that trip, a trip where all the passengers bonded more than any other bus I've rode before or after, and I've rode a lot of them. I often imagine that other folks on that bus think back to that trip fondly the same way I do.

Amtrak has it's one set of flaws but there have been several trips I've done or my dad and I have done where being able to get off the train for a couple days then get back on and continue was the most efficient way to see a lot of the United States. Sometimes ride a bus to other places, sometimes rent a car then get back on the train and save a night and time lost staying in a hotel. We could have flown inbetween or from the last cities visited but still Amtrak worked out that well. I've only missed a connection on Amtrak once, I was close enough that I was able to take a Greyhound at Amtrak's expense and not lose too much time on my trip.

It looks like the people who defend the Canadian the most are only there for the train itself. They may enjoy the scenery outside but have little or no interest in all that lays beyond the right of way. Sit for hours in the dome and eat the huge meals VIA Rail provides, if they get to Toronto or Vancouver on the right day it's just an unexpected bonus. Novelty transportation defined.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1075 seconds