Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Canadian Railroads > Unusual departure of the Canadian from Toronto

Date: 12/10/17 06:31
Unusual departure of the Canadian from Toronto
Author: DrawingroomA

The Canadian of Saturday the 9th departed Toronto at 09:00 on the 10th. That is not unusual these days. What is unusual is that, according to the tracking site, the train is going up the Bala Sub. instead of the Newmarket Sub. When it does this it backs up to the junction of the York Sub. at Doncaster, where it can be turned.

Due to track work on the Newmarket Sub., GO Transit has replaced the Barrie trains with buses this week-end.

Date: 12/10/17 11:46
Re: Unusual departure of the Canadian from Toronto
Author: MrGrumpy

I was watching that also and was curious about something. When running in reverse like that, what is the maximum speed the train can operate at? Moving Maps showed the trains speed around 40kph, which seemed kind of fast to me for a reverse move. I would have thought it would be going slower than that, but then again I have no real idea.

Dwayne

Date: 12/10/17 14:11
Author: viatrainrider

On my recent trip, we backed up the Bala sub. Yes, it was the fastest back up move I have ever experienced so 40 mph may be correct! Asst engineer watching out back of Park Car.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/10/17 14:24
Author: Jimbo

A big factor in the speed of back up moves is if there are any at-grade, level highway crossings and the type of warning devices, if any. If there are no crossings the speed could be pretty high.

Date: 12/10/17 14:46
Author: ghCBNS

The Ocean also does a reverse move out of Ste-Foy....3 1\2 miles back to the mainline on the south shore of the St. Lawrence.....and usually at a pretty good clip!

Date: 12/11/17 09:25
Author: cnr6776

viatrainrider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On my recent trip, we backed up the Bala sub.
> Yes, it was the fastest back up move I have ever
> experienced so 40 mph may be correct! Asst
> engineer watching out back of Park Car.
>
> Posted from Android

40KPH= 25 mph.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds