Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP derailment near Edmonton

Date: 02/16/18 17:15
CP derailment near Edmonton
Author: telegraphboy

I lived in Edmonton for many years, still have an interest in Edmonton things.
Listening to CFRN news at 4, CP train derailment just south of Edmonton at Ellerslie.
Southbound grain train. Lots of pix on CBC news.
Sid.

Date: 02/17/18 04:41
Re: CP derailment near Edmonton
Author: tsokolan

Ellerslie is inside the Edmonton city limits now, derailment happened just south of the grade crossing on Ellerslie Road. Looks like several grain hoppers involved, no reports of injuries.

-Trevor

Date: 02/17/18 11:57
Re: CP derailment near Edmonton
Author: LKeithR

tsokolan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ellerslie is inside the Edmonton city limits now...

I don't think the city limits themselves have changed recently but the urban sprawl of housing has
worked its way far enough south to encompass the "community" of Ellerslie.

One of our daughters has lived in Edmonton for about 11 years and we've been back there many times in
the interim. They live up in the Gold Bar area (in the vicinity of 50th St. and Baseline) and early
on we discovered a couple nice little restaurants down in Beaumont. It's a straight shot down 50th
to Beaumont and over the years we've certainly noticed that the band of farmland between the south of
the city and the north end of Beaumont has shrunk quite a bit.

When we were first back there you could travel south on Hwy. 2 and see at least some open farmland
between the south of the city and Nisku but now the developed area is almost continuous, especially on
the the east side of the highway.

My son-in-law works about a mile from the site of the derailment and, while exploring that part of the
ciy I've stopped a few times at that crossing on Ellerslie to take photos. Edmonton and the surrounding
area is a great place to chase trains--there is a "lot" going on. Some of my B.C. friends rib me when I
tell them I'm going to Edmonton for a "holiday" but, above and beyond the fact that I have a daughter,
son-in-law and two cute grandchildren there, I always look forward to visiting...at least in the summer...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds