Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 02/19/18 14:46
Laggan Sub - Feb 19
Author: KickingHorse

A glorious Family Day in southern Alberta

Westbound IM #101 at Mile 66.8
498 axles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/18 14:47 by KickingHorse.

Date: 02/19/18 14:52
Re: Laggan Sub - Feb 19

more 101

This might be worth a chase westward and catch it at Castle or even better catch an eastbound at Castle.

Date: 02/19/18 14:58

Okay after a quick pitstop heading west and catch up to 101 as its approaching Banff. CP 2293 comes on the radio and requests a signal eastward out of Banff siding after 101.
Although I haven't seen it I know there's been a Herzog train around, maybe this is it.

Alas just some lone power.

Date: 02/19/18 15:12

Heading west again and 101 calls a clear to stop at Massive East. Hmmmm, meeting an eastbound?

Sure enough a 602 is going through the siding at Massive.

Yup, dilemma time - turn around and go back to Banff for 602 or keep going to Castle.

Note- Massive is difficult to get to in the summer and requires a hike in from the BV Parkway. In winter it's near impossible.

Keep going and I get the even better!

Eastbound IM #100 passes Castle Mountain.

Date: 02/19/18 15:18

I like these new CP containers and 100 had plenty.

Date: 02/19/18 15:24

This was a long one - with a 2+2+1 setup it had to 500 axles so well over 10,000'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/18 16:07 by KickingHorse.

Date: 02/19/18 15:38

The Parkway west from Castle can sometimes be worth it; the tracks can be seen from the road in a few places and there's Morants Curve. But it's closed west of Baker Creek due to road construction at Morants (new box culvert)

So it's west again on the TCH. Scanner at 111.0 goes off but the train calls a clear to stop to Eldon so it's going in the hole for 101.

There's a stalled westbound grain train on hill so it's into Lake Louise for 101 again.

Here it is at Mile 116 and going to take the North track at 116.1

UP 5534 crosses the Pipestone River with Lake Louise Ski Hill in the background.

Date: 02/19/18 15:51

I went to Field to see if that stalled train was rolling again but nope - they had a "undesired release" and the crew was out of hours. So waiting on the diesel doc to come up with a solution and a recrew ... nah.

Head back east and catch a 303 grainer at Banff East.

I don't think the sun could have been any more right down the line; look at the shadow of the 9734 on the nose of 8110, a perfect match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/18 16:03 by KickingHorse.

Date: 02/19/18 17:49
Author: Train611

An outstanding effort!

Great images and locations.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/19/18 19:59
Author: upbuddyboy

Second that!!!! Thx for sharing
Brian in Keizer

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/20/18 00:42
Author: BoostedFridge

Your first picture of #100 has my vote for IOTD

Date: 02/20/18 05:04
Author: RogersPass

Hi Do CP own the Blue AC's ( ex leasing co) and if they do Are they going to
give them a Dulux over hall also please?? BTW thanks for the Great Photos.
Your country is just Out of the is world for Scenery...
Cheers Brian in New Zealand..
Ps Hope to return some day..

Date: 02/20/18 06:06
Author: mp35mountain

Beautiful pictures. I love the variety of colors on those containers!

Tim
mp35mountain

Date: 02/20/18 08:28

Thanks.

It's hard to resist heading out when the sky is this blue.

As for the blue ACs, they are owned by CIT Group and on long-term lease to CP. Basically they are CP's but financed by lease rather than debt.

Date: 02/20/18 17:28
Author: tevillo27

This is a great series of exceptionally clear photos. It is always interesting to see the 53-foot containers that appear in pictures on the Canadian and Western boards. Do you know what is the origin of the Maritime-Ontario box?

Date: 02/21/18 07:14

Maritime-Ontario is a Canadian domestic carrier.

Company Profile
Established in 1962, M-O (Maritime-Ontario Freight Lines Limited) is a fully integrated transportation company providing multi-modal services, including intermodal, over- the- road and dedicated services.

M-O services are performed through an extensive and efficient network of terminals, COAST TO COAST throughout Canada.

Our Facilities
Since 1962, M-O’s core business has been providing transportation services. Our services are performed through 24 strategic locations across Canada supported from the companies Head office located in Brampton, Ontario. This state of the art facility and flagship terminal is located on a 65 acre footprint adjacent to CN Intermodal, and in close proximity to CP’s Vaughan Intermodal Terminal. The high security yard has parking for more than 400 trailers or containers and also contains a 42,000 square foot office facility.

Date: 02/21/18 07:27
Author: mp35mountain

And according to their website they just purchased in November 2017 100 new 53' refrigerated containers and 100 new 53' dry containers.

Tim
mp35mountain

Date: 02/21/18 07:32
Author: goneon66

outstanding. thanks very much for the train symbols and great photos. stay warm and be safe out there.......

Date: 02/21/18 09:21
Author: Trainatic

Excellent shots. Love the scenery. I'm going to be in that area next month doing a little railfanning. Sounds like having a scanner is a must so I should bring that with me.

thanks,
Joe

Date: 02/21/18 13:31

Trainatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm going to be in that area next month doing a little
> railfanning. Sounds like having a scanner is a
> must so I should bring that with me.
>
> thanks,
> Joe

Yes a scanner is pretty much a must have. In conjunction, a CTG is very helpful as well. I'm not sure how familiar you are with this territory but railfanning, especially in the Parks, is severely impacted by winter.

First off the Lower Spiral Tunnel Viewpoint is closed every winter. With the healthy snowfall this year, you probably won't even know it as you go by because it's buried in snow and the snowplows have made a 10' wall alongside the highway there. And don't even think about stopping on the shoulder of the TCH (just about anywhere); it's a very dangerous thing to do.

Secondly, the Hwy 1A Bow Valley Parkway is closed from Oct 2017 to June 2018 from Baker Creek To Lake Louise this winter for replacement of a box culvert. The other main spot for casual railfans, the Morants Curve is within the closed section. (The culvert being replaced is right there.)

Third, Yoho Road is only open as far as the first parking area so the only way to get to the Upper Spiral Tunnel Viewpoint is by x-country skiing. Lots of folks ski along that road and it's sometimes track set.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0739 seconds