Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Oil Train Into Kinder Morgan Edmonton Rail Terminal

Date: 02/22/18 13:41
CP Oil Train Into Kinder Morgan Edmonton Rail Terminal
Author: feclark

During U of A's Reading Week I have a bit of flexibility, so took yesterday off. I had a few hours to myself in the morning, so decided to hang around Edmonton rather than head east as I usually do. I have been way out of touch with the local scene and things un-Wainwright. I decided to head to East Edmonton via the Sherwood Park Freeway, and was pacing some tank cars on CP's Scotford Sub, along 63 Ave./Argyle Road. I thought with some luck I'd be able to shoot them as they came up to the west end of Lambton Park Yard, at 50th St. I soon realized that I had an oil train, not a transfer, and that I was not going to make it. So I kept on the Freeway to 17th St., bailed south to Railway St., and made it to East Edmonton in time to park cleanly and set up. This is a longish series.
1. CP 8938 and 8797 are crossing the diamond, ditch lights off, and crew climbing down the steps to throw the derail protecting the lead into Kinder Morgan's facility in the SE quadrant of the diamond. Time is 0910.
2. While the crewman is hard at the derail, ditch lights are back on for the grade crossing. The switch stand is evident.
3. Having clomped from the derail to the switch stand, they're throwing that, while the train stands clear of Railway Street, but is almost certainly fouling 17th St. It's been 10 minutes.

Date: 02/22/18 13:45
Re: CP Oil Train Into Kinder Morgan Edmonton Rail Terminal

4. Now they hang on for the ride as the train pushes in to the terminal.
5. At last the power is clear of the switch, and almost clear of the derail; it's now 0932. Altasteel's 34th St. plant is visible in the left background; there are a lot of power lines in this area! The ride will be a long one; eventually the southbound train (as it's becoming, parallel to CN's Camrose Sub) will enter the terminal, and start the spiral that will have its tail turn east, north, then west and south again, with the rider and buffer car showing up close to my position while the power is still on the lead just outside the terminal.
6. The switch is now thrown to line things for the main again; plenty of walking on a cold morning. The restored switch was quickly utilized, as you'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/18 13:51 by feclark.

Date: 02/22/18 13:49
Re: CP Oil Train Into Kinder Morgan Edmonton Rail Terminal

7. A WB transfer from Clover Bar to Lambton Park yards appeared at 0936, with a cut of tank cars, behind Geeps 3114 and 4419. Welcome relief from GEs.
8. As the transfer comes up to the signals protecting the diamond, the other crew member (not the one riding the covered hopper buffer car) has almost made it back to the warmth of the cab. I must admit that with the ground nicely frozen, I was free to walk around in this open area without worries about getting soaked in a ditch.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds