Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Canadian Railroads > Bridges and Meets on CN at Brettville Junction, Edmonton

Date: 02/22/18 14:10
Bridges and Meets on CN at Brettville Junction, Edmonton
Author: feclark

Also from yesterday, February 21, I drove up to Brettville Junction on CN, where the Camrose Sub heads south off the Wainwright Sub. I found #315 switching at the west end of CN's Clover Bar Yard, along Hayter Road.
1. A long pull made me think I might get lucky, and I did, with 2333 and 5486 out onto the bridge carrying the east leg of the wye over the Yellowhead Trail. They replaced one of the decks a couple of years ago [?; I was just getting back into shooting this area in 2015, and I think the work was very recent].
2. As they pushed back in, what should appear as soon as they were clear of my sight lines but #198 at 1014, behind 2317. As #315 was working the Clover Bar lead on the south, the Wainwright was clear, so 198 was free to come through.
3. Once #315 was all done, it was time to head down the Camrose Sub (which I had not realized while it was switching and then resting on the south track along Hayter Road; it's been too long since I've shot in town and learned the patterns). Fortunately, I had decided to see if its pull was far enough to take it back onto the bridge. I had just set up when a CN truck pulled up, another person boarded the lead unit, and they were on the move. Perfect light for the bridge, the old span still lettered for Canadian National Railways, and one of the reasons I wanted this shot. As an unexpected bonus (yes, I had a functioning scanner, but it was in the car, as my parka keeps me from clipping onto my waistband), a WB grain train appeared and sailed past on the Wainwright Sub, behind 8003 and 5452, at 1051. This was the best of several shots where part or all of the grain train's power was in the background as #315 crawled across the bridge. This shot also shows the west leg of the wye; you just get lucky some times.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0317 seconds