Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Canadian Railroads > Where on the Ocean was I?

Date: 03/16/18 08:51
Where on the Ocean was I?
Author: Hou74-76

Around the summer of 1981, no later than 82, crews slide ice into the bunkers for the ice activated cooling system still in use on VIA. The AC worked meekly for about two hours and then it was back to the sauna treatment until it got cold that evening. I guess Canadian Railroads knew better than to operate steam ejector AC on the cars. Where along the route of VIA's Ocean did I take this picture?

Thanks!

Date: 03/16/18 09:22
Re: Where on the Ocean was I?
Author: stuporchief

Truro?

Date: 03/16/18 10:17
Author: dxm332

It is likely further west than turo
Rode the train to Toronto many times in that era and I do not think much servicing was done in turo just combining/ separating Sydney section. Looking at the garbage bags coming off the train I am guessing Moncton but....
I will take a better look at the photo when I get home and will compare it to some of mine to see if I can identify the location 4 you

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/18 10:21 by dxm332.

Date: 03/16/18 10:41

Thanks! Moncton seems right to me but I am not sure. I appreciate the research.

Date: 03/16/18 10:49
Author: dxm332

Not sure about moncton.
If i remember correctly there wete light poles on both sides of the passenger tracks and there was freight by pass track in moncton station area. Any one have pictures of moncton they can compare this To?
What about campbeleton or somewhere between there and moncton?
We have a couple of regular posters from the Halifax area and I am sure that once they see your photo they can verify the location

Dxm332; a homesick Maritimer in Toronto.

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/18 10:56 by dxm332.

Date: 03/16/18 12:23
Author: ghCBNS

Not Truro....Not Moncton but I'm guessing Campbellton.

Below is the e/b Ocean in Jan '83. You can see the power on a slight curve as in your photo....and look at the extreme right next to the tank car. You can see the red door of the express shed.

Date: 03/16/18 19:14
Author: 4489

Ice cooled cars were a minority on VIA. Most VIA cars in the early days were E-M Air conditioning, not ice.

Date: 03/17/18 13:26
Author: zartok-35

4489 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ice cooled cars were a minority on VIA. Most VIA
> cars in the early days were E-M Air conditioning,
> not ice.

In fact, most of the Ice activated cars were relegated to the eastern trains in 1981, with the EM coaches and lounges being used mostly out west and in the corridor.

Date: 03/18/18 10:13

Thanks to all for helping me figure out my location on the Ocean.

Date: 03/24/18 17:46
Author: MEKoch

I too in 1981 witnessed them icing the cars in Campbellton one evening. I was totally astounded that such a system still existed in 1981. I guess they were able to get by with ice AC because it was Canada and the days were rarely HOT.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds