Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Canadian Railroads > Freight Car Friday - CN MOW Tank Car

Date: 05/25/18 12:31
Freight Car Friday - CN MOW Tank Car
Author: feclark

On Wednesday I posted some photos taken at Wabamun on Monday, May 21, at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4559227. The first photo was of train #416 at 1215. Back in the consist was a surprise, what seemed like a real relic, tank car 59040, whose number series says it's company service/MoW. It looks more like a tank adapted to a flat car, rather than purpose-built tank, and I'm going to guess water service, based on the "garden hose tap" just aft of the lead truck. Absence of insulation/silver paint suggests non-potable. The raised plywood box on spindly metal mounts is intriguing (why not just build it on the deck?), and the ladder plus walkway along one end only make for a neat asymmetry. I also like the vertical handbrake post. There is no discernible data on this. Any comments on this beast?
Fred

Date: 05/27/18 17:00
Re: Freight Car Friday - CN MOW Tank Car
Author: eminence_grise

CP had a number of "Fire Service" tank cars of great age used on Vancouver Island. Some are preserved.

These cars accompanied log trains, and had a sprinkler bar which wetted down the tracks and hopefully extinguished any sparks from the cast iron break shoes used on older log cars.

How they worked was simple, when the train was moving, a crew member opened a valve to start the sprinkler. At then end or the beginning of a work day, the tank would be filled.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds