Home Open Account Help 209 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Merritt BC, without a trace.

Date: 06/13/18 08:49
CP Merritt BC, without a trace.
Author: eminence_grise

With my daughter working in Merritt BC, I made a weekend visit to this medium sized town.

In the fall of 1977, I spent a month working the CP Merritt road switcher, which switched the many large sawmills in that town and then hauled them to the junction with the CP main line at Spences Bridge.

CP abandoned this part of the Kettle Valley Division in 1989. The closure of the route to Merritt was controversial as the mills were active and shipped by rail. CP and CN contracted with various trucking companies to haul the lumber loads by truck from Merritt to Kamloops to be reloaded onto railcars there. CP also announced some time earlier that they would not purchase new woodchip gondolas and would exit that part of the business. Several woodchip hauling trucking companies took over the traffic of hauling woodchips to pulp mills and other recipients.

The image shows the CP Merritt station in the mid-1980's, with the locomotives and cabooses of the two road switchers based there in the background.

The town was somewhat older than the railway, so the tracks skirted the southern edge of downtown.

Even without the railway, the lumber mills have prospered and in some cases expanded.

Traces of the railway are visible at the outskirts of town, but in Merritt itself, no a trace is visible. The only hint is the name of a large shopping centre, "The Railyard".

The station was sold to a private individual and was trucked off site, I'm not sure if it is still extant.

Date: 06/13/18 12:01
Re: CP Merritt BC, without a trace.
Author: krm152

a very interesting photo and narrative.
ALLEN

Date: 06/13/18 16:58
Author: roustabout

We got back from Alaska last week; our route always takes us from Spense's Bridge over to Merritt. This trip I noticed more of the right of way and a couple more bridges. I should have taken the time for more pictures but we were on a roll and had just gotten around a couple loaded log trucks... Did the line dead end at Merritt or go on over to Princeton?

Thanks for the interesting picture!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/18 16:58 by roustabout.

Date: 06/13/18 23:39
Author: eminence_grise

roustabout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
Did the line dead end at Merritt or go
> on over to Princeton?
>
> Thanks for the interesting picture!

This was the Nicola Section, later the Nicola Sub. of the CP Kettle Valley Division. Just west of Brookemere on the Kettle Valley route, this ine branched north to Spences Bridge, while the Coquihalla Sub. continued west to Hope and a junction wit the main line. The Coquihalla Sub closed in 1962 and the traffic was diverted over the Nicola Sub.

Date: 06/14/18 20:15
Author: Train611

Aahhh...those were the days!

Thanks,

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0369 seconds