Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Canadian Railroads > Waiting for VIA #2

Date: 07/11/18 15:29
Waiting for VIA #2
Author: Langleyrailfan

It's not often we get a chance in the Fraser valley to catch VIA#2 as it starts its journey eastward, though that will change as of July 27.  However, a very late arrival of #1 the day before meant there might be a chance that #2 would not depart Vancouver until early Wednesday morning. As if on cue I happened to wake up uncharacteristically early at 0518 and couldn't get back to sleep.   A quick scan of the VIA mobile tracker app showed a re-scheduled Vancouver departure for 0600 Wednesday.  The chase was on.  I decided to head for the Matsqui/Mission area and see what would materialize.  CP RTC indicated that three trains were converging on the Mission bridge and VIA #2 would be third in line.  First up was a westbound CP sulphur train lead by CP 9834 crossing back onto home tracks.  Sure enough, just as eastbound CN Q116 lead by Dash 8-40C CN 2024 approached the south end of the bridge a dog walker pulled up and parked right in my line of sight.  I quickly reframed the shot, complete with flower effect.

Date: 07/11/18 15:31
Re: Waiting for VIA #2
Author: Langleyrailfan

As vehicle traffic picked up at the north end of the Mission bridge I decided it was time to pack up and move east on the Cascade Sub.  A local grade crossing at MP 80 features some nice open double track views both east and westbound, and it did not disappoint this morning.  I managed to catch Q116 a second time on the south track, followed 8 minutes later by a 112 axle VIA #2 on the north track with VIA 6442 and 6449 leading.   
Cheers!

Date: 07/11/18 20:58
Author: Train611

Always nice to catch daylight passenger trains!

Nice work!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/18 10:27
Author: feclark

Nicely done, on a challenging bridge, and then open track with no vegetation obscuring the railhead, which seems extraordinary. Nice to see the conventional cab on Q116.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0448 seconds