Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Canadian Railroads > bc rail derailment, cars in the lake.

Date: 07/12/18 08:59
bc rail derailment, cars in the lake.
Author: telegraphboy

I thought someone would post this much earlier,  but nothing.  So I will post what I know, which is not much.
It was on the 6 o'clock news last nite,  complete with a picture, couple of boats in the lake surveying the scene.
It's the lake west of Lillooet,  Pemberton?    Loleta, where are you?

Sid.

Date: 07/12/18 09:31
Re: bc rail derailment, cars in the lake.
Author: stevelv

Date: 07/12/18 10:00
Author: zorz

Correct me if I’m wrong but CN has had a dramatically higher number of derailments on the BC Rail main than when it was provincially run?

Not saying I’m in favor of government operation - but it seems offhand that they’re simply not adapting to the reality of operating that line safely. Are they running trains too long sans DPU or deferring maintenance?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/18 10:17
Author: hoggerdoug

Quite a mess for 20 mph track, fortunately no dangerous goods in the lake.  By the news report, "no injuries" so the crew is okay. It will be interesting as to the cause, sun kink, broken rail, burnt bearing, train marshalling or DPU issue. CN sort of threw out the train marshalling guidelines that BC Rail used successfully for years.  Doug

Date: 07/12/18 12:02
Author: algoma11

BC Rail like CN itself suffers from deferred maintenance, a direct reslt of King Harrisons cost cutting.
When he left , CN itself said there was 1.5 billion in deferred maintenance.
When you read that Trains article on him most people that suffered his wrath probably gag! 

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 07/12/18 13:40
Author: tomstp

I did not know that pulpwood was shipped in box cars as indicated in the link.  No open top cars are in the water according to pictures.

Date: 07/12/18 15:24
Author: up833

Read carefully. There is a difference in pulp wood and wood pulp.  Pulp is shipped in boxcars thats shipped to various users for many products. Newsprint and cardboard would be a couple of big items.
RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/18 15:25 by up833.

Date: 07/12/18 15:58
Author: railsmith

telegraphboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought someone would post this much earlier,
>  but nothing.  So I will post what I know, which
> is not much.
> It was on the 6 o'clock news last nite,  complete
> with a picture, couple of boats in the lake
> surveying the scene.
> It's the lake west of Lillooet,  Pemberton?  
>  Loleta, where are you?

Gates Lake, between Darcy and Mount Currie. The derailment occurred just north of the north siding switch Birken.

Date: 07/12/18 16:07
Author: BCutter

Re: Pulp   There are several (or were several) pulp plants that produce only pulp but may not make paper on site. The plant's feedstock could be either wood pulp or bagasse or even hemp. The pulp could be produced by mechanical, semi-mechanical or fully chemical (think kraft mills) means. These plants dewater the pulp, bale it and ship it out for processing.  The pulp could either be bleached (lightened or whitened) or unbleached and could be used for a wide variety of purpose including--but not limited to -- paper!

Bruce

Date: 07/12/18 16:31
Author: hoggerdoug

I seem to recall a derailment last year?? almost in the same spot.  Doug

Date: 07/12/18 19:17
Author: BCR4619

Yes derailment this past November, the previous derailment in the same spot I dint believe there were DPU'd involved, crew was not at blame in that one so I would assume track as in the last year CN has been working everywhere on that line putting lots of money in.

This past train looked to be running a 2-2 configuration.... the car that was in the water last night has given up its last puff of air and sank to the bottom.

Date: 07/14/18 09:06
Author: loleta

CN brought the north end of the train to Lillooet last night and the south end to Squamish. People with reservations on the Rocky Mountaineer are getting bus rides instead. A work train went north yesterday evening with ten cars of ballast.

- L.F.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds