Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Canadian Railroads > Freight Car Friday - Humboldt Strong Grain Car

Date: 07/13/18 10:16
Freight Car Friday - Humboldt Strong Grain Car
Author: feclark

On a June railfan trip to the Ashcroft area (once I sort through things I'll be posting), Sunday June 24 took us in to Black Canyon, on the east side in the morning. After CN A412's power went by, at 1103, I kept an eye on the approaching rolling stock, and saw this unusual grain car coming. I'd never seen a Westlock Terminals car before, reporting marks WLTX 002. It was heavily tagged on the lower side, but I shot it anyway. What with concentrating on framing it as it went by, looking through the tiny viewfinder, I didn't see the other tagging at the time. Once I loaded the shots onto my computer and started looking at them, I realized it had additional tagging, "Broncos #HumboldtStrong", above the Westlock Terminals graphics. Most of Canada, and even many Americans, are of course aware of the tragic collision between the Humboldt Broncos team bus and a semi-trailer truck near Armley, SK, on April 16, 2018, which killed 16 and injured 13. I'd seen many tributes in the media, or even hockey sticks in the St. Joseph's building on the U of A campus. Normally I'm not a fan of graffiti, but this one is special. A little web-searching shows Westlock Terminals was incorporated August 23, 2002, and started receiving grain on December 5, 2002, at Westlock, AB on the Westlock Sub, north of Edmonton. I'm not sure when they acquired the former Saskatchewan grain cars (see neighbour WLTX 023 on the right); this one appears to be a simple, incomplete repaint involving a light grey on the side sills, side sheets, and lower part of the step ladders, and application of the black lettering. The fancy graffiti is non-standard, of course.
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/18 10:38 by feclark.

Date: 07/13/18 14:12
Re: Freight Car Friday - Humboldt Strong Grain Car
Author: Dick

Didn't see anything on rail cars during my trip to western Canada in May but I did see several Humbolt Strong messages on signs in Alberta and British Columbia. 
Dick Eisfeller

Date: 07/13/18 19:15
Author: 4489

Humboldt STAY STRONG!

Date: 07/13/18 20:38
Author: Jimmies

I think you're right...this one is special.

Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds