Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday

Date: 09/17/18 12:43
MLW Monday
Author: overniteman

Canadian Pacific MLW M424 4219 @ Smiths Falls, Ontario.
June, 1995

The fate of the 4219:https://www.traingeek.ca/wp/trains/shortlines/nbec/roster/nbec-4219/

Date: 09/17/18 12:54
Re: MLW Monday
Author: eminence_grise

CP moved the bell from beneath the walkway on the engineers side to that location on the long hood behind the cab.

Since the horns were mounted on the cab roof, obviously there was an air pipe to the front on the cab where most other Canadian locomotives sported their bells..

There was much debate between the railways and the Government regulators, and Bob Swanson of "Air Chime" locomotive horns as to the best location for bells and
whistles during the 1970's through 90's. CP,CN and the BCR made several changes to their locomotives during this period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/18 12:55 by eminence_grise.

Date: 09/18/18 06:09
Author: Mberry

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CP moved the bell from beneath the walkway on the
> engineers side to that location on the long hood
> behind the cab.
>
> Since the horns were mounted on the cab roof,
> obviously there was an air pipe to the front on
> the cab where most other Canadian locomotives
> sported their bells..
>
> There was much debate between the railways and the
> Government regulators, and Bob Swanson of "Air
> Chime" locomotive horns as to the best location
> for bells and
> whistles during the 1970's through 90's. CP,CN and
> the BCR made several changes to their locomotives
> during this period.

As an engineer during this period, what were your thoughts on the best location for bells and whistles?

Michael

Date: 09/18/18 06:55
Author: hoggerdoug

I much preferred the whistles moved back to the roof of the carbody instead of mounted on the cab roof, much quieter in the cab, noise wise mounted further back still had the decibels for other purposes and requirements.  The bell on the cab front did not bother me, in fact if mounted under the walkway I suppose it could not be heard in the cab and perhaps left ringing when not needed.  Doug

Date: 09/18/18 20:21
Author: eminence_grise

Looking closely at the image, I note the flat plate above the front cab windows.

As delivered, some of CP's C-424's had high mounted headlights , moved to the nose shortly after delivery.

That would explain the bell under the walkway when delivered also.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0373 seconds