Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Canadian Railroads > Added holiday service to the Maritimes?

Date: 09/23/18 14:08
Added holiday service to the Maritimes?
Author: DavidP

As anyone heard one way or the other if VIA is planning to run additional Ocean frequencies over the Christmas and New Year holidays this year?  The website isn’t showing anything yet, but I seem to remember in past years the added service wasn’t announced until the autumn.

Dave

Date: 09/23/18 15:29
Re: Added holiday service to the Maritimes?
Author: jp1822

THey have added frequencies in the past few years and the trains were typically well patronized. Haven't seen anything about this year though.  Whether or not the Ocean does better as a three day a week train as opposed to a six day a week train is still questionable to me. The three days a week limits its overall utility to local Canadians truly using it as a means of travel for business or pleasure. I used to meet a lot of business folks taking the train overnight between Montreal and Moncton.

Definitely would be nice to see a corridor train carved out in the mid-section between Campbellton and Moncton. This seemed to make good sense. 

Date: 09/23/18 15:38
Re: Added holiday service to the Maritime?
Author: joemvcnj

With 6 days per week, people from the Maritimes made a day visit in Montreal Now they must stay overnight. 
Ridership declined in direct proportion to frequency cut. VIA Rail called that a success. 
If they cut frequency to 1 days per week and ridership declined 67%, they would call that successful too. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/18 16:26 by joemvcnj.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.049 seconds