Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Old & New @ Springhill Jct in the '80s

Date: 11/06/18 00:05
The Old & New @ Springhill Jct in the '80s
Author: ghCBNS

Here’s the w/b Ocean stopping at the old station in Springhill Jct. Nova Scotia in 1983.....and an e/b Moncton-Halifax ‘Railiner’ in Dec. 1986.

Date: 11/06/18 00:06
Re: The Old & New @ Springhill Jct in the '80s
Author: ghCBNS

In 1987 VIA built a new ‘Stationette’ and the old CN Station was demolished. Now even that is gone but the Ocean still * Stops on request when traveller is seen by train staff

Date: 11/06/18 09:36
Author: feclark

Very nice shots, and also love some of the details, like the road bridge on wood piles in the first one, and the trailer parked by the station in the second shot. The RS-18 looked good running long-hood forward on CN. Imagine if they could have gotten VIA 8558, in the VIA paint, at the head-end of that consist, instead of the CN unit.
Fred

Date: 11/06/18 09:52
Author: eminence_grise

Although 8558 looked good, I have to wonder what kind of mechanical shape it was in,

Via leased a number of CP RS-10's early on for service on the "Canadian", some even making it to Calgary & Vancouver, but it seems they were being used for their steam generators and larger water tank rather than for power.

Date: 11/06/18 12:17
Author: feclark

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Although 8558 looked good, I have to wonder what
> kind of mechanical shape it was in,
>
> Via leased a number of CP RS-10's early on for
> service on the "Canadian", some even making it to
> Calgary & Vancouver, but it seems they were being
> used for their steam generators and larger water
> tank rather than for power.

I suggested it for aesthetic, not mechanical, reasons, just to see what a full VIA consist would look like with a hood unit on the front. I lived in Calgary from 1979-1984, and well remember the delight, for a few years, of seeing MLW power sitting in the consist at the downtown station, ready to be swapped onto the head end of #2 when it arrived close to the lunch hour. What a relief from endless SD40 and SD40-2, which of course we would all just about kill for, to see running again.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds