Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Canadian Railroads > First freight train to Churchill

Date: 11/25/18 17:54
First freight train to Churchill
Author: blunozer2000

This from Global News: “The first freight train to arrive in Churchill, Man., in a year and a half, rolled into town on Saturday night November 24th, according to Churchill’s mayor. Freight and passenger service was halted in the town after flooding washed out portions of the railway in May 2017. “On this first one, I think it’s vehicles coming in,” Mayor Michael Spence told Global News.

The real “first train” made its way into the town on Oct. 1 and was greeted by an emotional crowd. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made the trip to northern Manitoba to help celebrate the finish of the rail lines. Since the flooding, the only way to enter or leave Churchill has been by air.

Spence said residents have been “overly patient” and are excited for the first freight train as well as the highly anticipated passenger train. “Everybody is pretty happy about that but everybody is looking forward to the first passenger train in,” Spence said.  “We’re waiting for that, and hopefully we’ll get confirmation of that next week some time in terms of when they will have the schedule up and running.””

The news video showed two units and 3 cars crossing a snowy road crossing in the dark.

Date: 11/25/18 18:14
Re: First freight train to Churchill
Author: stevelv

Date: 11/26/18 11:19
Author: joemvcnj

Any word on when VIA starts up again ?

Date: 11/26/18 21:25
Author: tsokolan

The town of Chruchill issued a press release stating the first VIA train is scheduled to leave Winnipeg December 2, with arrival in Churchill on the 4th. No official word from VIA as of yet.

-Trevor

Date: 11/27/18 12:50
Author: sums007

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any word on when VIA starts up again ?

December 2 is what I read somewhere.

Date: 11/27/18 13:12
Author: viatrainrider

I have been told by a vIA source that indeed the first northbound 693 will leave Winnipeg on December 2.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds