Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Canadian Railroads > First VIA train to Churchill

Date: 11/28/18 14:55
First VIA train to Churchill
Author: LTCerny

According to the CBC, the first VIA train to Churchill following restoration of the line to Hudson Bay is scheduled to leave Winnepeg at 12:05pm on December 2 and arrive at Churchill 9am December 4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/18 14:59 by LTCerny.

Date: 11/28/18 15:51
Re: First VIA train to Churchill
Author: jp1822

That's good news! An actual restoration of service and not continued discontinuation..... 

Date: 11/28/18 18:10
Author: viatrainrider

Wonderful!!  I had hoped to be on the first train from WPG to Churchill;  however, a major Train 1 - 2 trip in next April prevents me from making the trip to WPG at this time.  I very much would have liked to have been on the first arrival at Churchill having done 20 trips there,  There is bound to be a great celebration there when the train arrives.
Noted on Reservia that Sunday's departure from WPG is sold out.  Could this really be or is there an error in Reservia?

Date: 11/29/18 05:18
Author: P

Wow, that's a lot sooner than many of us would have anticipated. Great news.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/29/18 09:59
Author: PHall

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, that's a lot sooner than many of us would
> have anticipated. Great news.
>
> Posted from Android

Yeah, it's amazing how fast things can happen when the people in charge want it to happen.

Date: 11/29/18 11:08
Author: irhoghead

Maybe VIA should have been in charge of getting the Sunset Limited restored to Florida after the hurricane.

Date: 12/02/18 11:23
Author: DrawingroomA

Date: 12/02/18 12:40
Author: Lackawanna484

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> P Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wow, that's a lot sooner than many of us would
> > have anticipated. Great news.
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> Yeah, it's amazing how fast things can happen when
> the people in charge want it to happen.

Amen!

When the boss says, just get it done. We'll figure out the costs later, stuff happens FAST

Date: 12/02/18 21:25
Author: jp1822

That's great!!!! Wonderful wrap on the Dining Car!

The defunct Northern Spirit Sleeper Cars (former Heritage 10-6 sleepers) that ran on the Churchill route had a special wrap on them too (featuring animals of the Artic as a main theme I believe), but they could not hold up in the cold weather and were withdrawn. But they had a neat artistic flare! These cars were moved back to Toronto - have they been disposed of now? Or just sitting out in the yard? If desperate, could VIA make them into crew cars and free up a Chateau or two during peak period?

This train does carry a descent amount of local traffic, yet VIA could attract more tourists to this train and on up to Churchill, I think at least! I just wish the train also had a Park Car. I know the scenery can be a little dull, but the activities in the upgraded diner is meant to help. VIA even has the round-ended observation car Pavilion that it could stick on the train just as a nice lounge car. It's an oddball though - just like the Panorama Cars, just like the Glen Fraser Car - that VIA would have to deal with. But they have dealt with them and run them! 

I think it just takes two consists now to hold down the route from Winnipeg to Churchill these days. Hopefully they have two diners with the new wrap!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/18 21:29 by jp1822.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds