Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA's Third Quarter Report - mostly good news

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/01/18 17:34
VIA's Third Quarter Report - mostly good news
Author: DrawingroomA

The corridor has done very well, with passenger loads up 8.3% over last year's 3rd quarter and revenues up 11%. The only bad news is the Canadian. Revenue is down 5.7%, but passengers are down 28.8%. Pages 30 and 31 have the pertinent information, including an acknowledgement that the poor on-time performance has resulted in the loss of passengers and cancellations from some tour operators.

https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/our-company/quartely-reports/2018/Q3_2018_EN.PDF

Date: 12/01/18 20:59
Re: VIA's Third Quarter Report - mostly good news
Author: Streamliner

DrawingroomA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The corridor has done very well, with passenger
> loads up 8.3% over last year's 3rd quarter and
> revenues up 11%. The only bad news is the
> Canadian. Revenue is down 5.7%, but passengers are
> down 28.8%. Pages 30 and 31 have the pertinent
> information, including an acknowledgement that the
> poor on-time performance has resulted in the loss
> of passengers and cancellations from some tour
> operators.
>
> https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/
> About_VIA/our-company/quartely-reports/2018/Q3_201
> 8_EN.PDF

I like to think that I have had a hand in ridership being off on The Canadian.  You folks finding more seats available in the Park Car can thank me!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155025-d2230208-r583741263-VIA_Rail_Canada-Quebec.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155025-d2230208-r622159937-VIA_Rail_Canada-Quebec.html

Date: 12/02/18 07:41
Author: andersonb109

Can we assume that you (Streamliner) wrote the Trip Advisor reviews? While you are entitled to your opinion, spreading such falsehoods about the train to a public forum is disgusting. First, we all agree that you are correct in your assessment of CN's operating practices when it comes to the Canadian. This is totally beyond VIA's control. It does look like the latest lengthened schedule is helping in that regard. But as for your lies...As many have pointed out, the engineer cannot simply go as fast as he wants, even when late. There is a speed limit (max 79MPH I believe) that must be adhered to. If not the engineer would soon be out of a job.  Of course we all know the equipment is beautifully refurbished and continues to evolve. VIA has just ordered four diners to be rebuilt with new seating and more modern kitchens. The re-designed Park Cars are works of art and compare favorable with many private cars I have ridden. The rough ride is mostly do to CN's tracks, not the ride quality of the cars. I can't recall the last accident on the Canadian, but I believe it was do to a failure with one of VIA's locomotives. Power that is much newer than the cars themselves. Prior to that, there was a horrible collision with a freight (that was the Super Continental, but it was on the current CN route) that was caused by a freight train's engineer falling asleep. Ok, sorry you had a bad trip. It happens. But had you done proper research on the train, you would have understood that the equipment is 60+ years old and delays are often excessive.  I'll trade a few rattles and rolls on the old equipment with Amtrak's poorly maintained Superliners any day with their clogged toilets and no first class public areas any day. Hopefully there are many positive reports on Trip Advisor and other web sites that give a far more realistic representation of the Canadian. I'm sure other regular regular DrawingroomA and VIAtrainrider will agree and come to the trains defense. I know the latter is booked for a trip in April and I'm booked TO to VAN in March. I'm already counting the days until departure looking forward to good company, great food and a friendly crew. Hopefully I'll arrive in one piece (noting I've added a full 36hrs. in Vancouver before I actually need to be someplace). It's a great city and well worth the extra time there. Of course you would probably find fault with it as well.

Date: 12/02/18 10:01
Author: Chessie

I'm booked along with others VCVR-TRTO in March.  This will be my fifth time on the CANADIAN (third time end to end).  Very much looking forward to it. 

Though I normally wouldn't say this to anyone, in this case it is warranted and probably echoes the sentiments of many.  Streamliner - don't go away mad, just go away. 

Date: 12/02/18 10:03
Author: thehighwayman

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Can we assume that you (Streamliner) wrote the
> Trip Advisor reviews? While you are entitled to

He never misses an opportunity to whine and cry.
I don't know why the management of TO allow his nonsense to continue!

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 12/02/18 10:10
Author: Lackawanna484

How many people who post generally favorable reviews here also post them on Trip Advisor?

Posted from Android

Date: 12/02/18 10:34
Author: Mberry

Streamliner Wrote:
> DrawingroomA Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The corridor has done very well, with passenger
> > loads up 8.3% over last year's 3rd quarter and
> > revenues up 11%. The only bad news is the
> > Canadian. Revenue is down 5.7%, but passengers
> are
> > down 28.8%. Pages 30 and 31 have the pertinent
> > information, including an acknowledgement that
> the
> > poor on-time performance has resulted in the
> loss
> > of passengers and cancellations from some tour
> > operators.
> >
> >
> https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/
>
> >
> About_VIA/our-company/quartely-reports/2018/Q3_201
>
> > 8_EN.PDF
>
> I like to think that I have had a hand in
> ridership being off on The Canadian.  You folks
> finding more seats available in the Park Car can
> thank me!
>
> https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g15502
> 5-d2230208-r583741263-VIA_Rail_Canada-Quebec.html
>
> 5-d2230208-r622159937-VIA_Rail_Canada-Quebec.html
>
>
>  

Was really glad to not have heard from you in awhile, can you please turn off your broken record?!?!

Michael

Date: 12/02/18 11:23

The only bad news is the Canadian. Revenue is down 5.7%, but passengers are down 28.8%. Pages 30 and 31 have the pertinent information, including an acknowledgement that the poor on-time performance has resulted in the loss of passengers and cancellations from some tour operators.”  

Gee I hate being right all the time!  Oh well.

Date: 12/02/18 11:32
Author: viatrainrider

The positive comments so well said and especially the longer comment by andersonb109.  I could not have written it better myself!!

I so much am looking forward to my next trip on the Canadian in April 2019, this time with my wife for WPG - VAN - Toronto - WPG.  Only problem is that April seem like a long ways off.  Wife will be fine on the long trip.  She will have downloaded some Netflix to occupy time that she is not in the dome watching wonderful scenery or enjoying wonderful food in the diner with me.

As for Streamliner, he seems to forget that some of us were supportive of him after his first post last April.  But isn't it December now?  Oh well, I know we  will enjoy our upcoming trip.

Date: 12/02/18 11:33
Author: Mberry

Streamliner Wrote:
> “The only bad news is the Canadian. Revenue is
> down 5.7%, but passengers are down 28.8%. Pages 30
> and 31 have the pertinent information, including
> an acknowledgement that the poor on-time
> performance has resulted in the loss of passengers
> and cancellations from some tour operators.”  
>
> Gee I hate being right all the time!  Oh well.

You are a tiresome crank.

Michael

Date: 12/02/18 11:51

Streamliner Wrote:

>
> I like to think that I have had a hand in
> ridership being off on The Canadian.  You folks
> finding more seats available in the Park Car can
> thank me!
>
> 5-d2230208-r583741263-VIA_Rail_Canada-Quebec.html
>
> 5-d2230208-r622159937-VIA_Rail_Canada-Quebec.html
>
>
I expected a reply like this would be the first. As we can see, there is a significant discrepancy between the reduction in passengers carried and revenues earned. VIA has not mentioned it, but the Prestige accommodation during peak season (13 rooms) is sold out most of the time. I checked most departures this past summer and that was my finding. Also, cabins for 2 were sold out on most trains. That is obviously why the revenues have not dropped by the same percentage as the passenger load.  What was readily available were upper and lower berths and Economy seats. The previous summer's passenger numbers were higher than usual because of the extra Economy passengers due to the "Canada 150" deal offered to young people who could travel almost free.

Regarding Tripadvisor, there are some very good reviews of the Canadian. Tripadvisor appears to attract more correspondents who tend to post of negative experiences than positive ones.  I realised that many years ago when a hotel we frequent in England got 90% negative reviews. Of course it wasn't perfect, but I had to wonder if it was the same hotel we stayed in for several days every year for six years.

My travels on the Canadian have been in the off-peak season (except once) since Prestige Class was started. I have had an opportunity to talk to many of the passengers. Not one was disappointed with the experience and I heard no mention of people screaming in fear due to excessive speed.  It seems to me that Streamliner has taken the position that: "I had a bad trip so everyone will have a bad trip."  I have had some trips on the Canadian that were not as enjoyable as they should have been, but that was 30 to 40 years ago.  Currently, the odds are in my favour that I will have a very good trip. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/18 11:57 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 12/02/18 12:43
Author: ghCBNS

Streamliner......I'll give that ridership could be off due to timekeeping. There are people that have to be somewhere or have confirmed connections or reservations.... not like the majority of us on here that consider any extra time on the Canadian more bang for our buck! But it's the untruths you put forward about engineers exceeding speed limits and cars ready to come off the track that's just not correct.

With a handle like 'Streamliner' you'd think you'd be well versed on rail travel, operating proceedures and classic well maintained equipment. So I'm just wondering if it was Mrs. Streamliner who ruined your trip? Wanting to bail at Winnipeg..... ruining a trip you might have actually been enjoying. So now let's 'Blame VIA'

Date: 12/02/18 16:09

ghCBNS Wrote:
> Streamliner......I'll give that ridership could be
> off due to timekeeping. There are people that have
> to be somewhere or have confirmed connections or
> reservations.... not like the majority of us on
> here that consider any extra time on the Canadian
> more bang for our buck! But it's the untruths you
> put forward about engineers exceeding speed limits
> and cars ready to come off the track that's just
> not correct.
>
> With a handle like 'Streamliner' you'd think you'd
> be well versed on rail travel, operating
> proceedures and classic well maintained equipment.
> So I'm just wondering if it was Mrs. Streamliner
> who ruined your trip? Wanting to bail at
> Winnipeg..... ruining a trip you might have
> actually been enjoying. So now let's 'Blame VIA'

No, it was actually both of us.  My wife—trooper that she is—really questioned the decision to leave the train in Winnipeg, because she knew what a huge disappointment it was for me, after looking forward to riding this train for so many years.  However, once we were ensconced in our comfortable hotel room, after a truly marvelous steak dinner at Hy’s Steakhouse (highly recommend it!), we both knew we had made the right decision.  

I’ve said this before, but nobody seems to remember:  My wife and I have ridden trains all over North America and Europe.  150mph+ on rails does not phase us, when the equipment and rails are properly maintained for high speed passenger travel.  Sorry, but the combination of old equipment, rolling over heavily beat up freight train tracks, at speeds that were too high for the comfort and safety of the passengers, just doesn’t cut it.  To those of you who love riding The Canadian, I’m happy for you.  For myself, I’ve got a huge bone to pick with VIA and I won’t give up being a thorn in their side until they refund my money.  Cheers!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/18 17:49 by Streamliner.

Date: 12/02/18 16:15

So you see, I am not nearly the only one who thinks The Canadian is crummy!  Cheers!

Look at this TripAdvisor review of The Canadian, posted by a tourist from England.  They gave it the LOWEST POSSIBLE RATING, only four days ago:

Mature World TravellersMy wife and I travelled recently on the Via Rail train from Toronto to Vancouver.
It was very much a trip of a lifetime for us and many others on the train.
The good bits were the luggage staff at Toronto, excellent, the food on the train, good and in most cases the staff who were helpful, cheerful and pleasant. You could view the train as being traditional or a bit old and dated but it was mainly comfortable without being luxurious. We failed to appreciate that Via rail rent time/space on the rails that are owned by the freight company. The net result of this was that the train was frequently delayed in sidings awaiting the passing of what was normally a VERY long freight train. The net effect of all this was that very few station stops were either on schedule or for the period of time scheduled, generally much shorter stops, and eventually the train arrived in Vancouver at 3am, approximately 9 hours late. I did contact Via rail who were apologetic but did advise that freight traffic is increasing but works were being undertaken to have a track going in both directions, avoiding the need for these constant stops. In time this may improve but in the medium term I can only see regular delays. This is a premium priced product not really delivering on it's promise. Sad really as a lot of the scenery was stunning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/18 16:26 by Streamliner.

Date: 12/02/18 16:20

So, you see, I am not nearly the only one who thinks The Canadian is crummy!  Cheers!

Look at this TripAdvisor review of The Canadian from a Canadian living in Australia.  He gave it the LOWEST POSSIBLE RATING only a week ago:

Never Again! What a Disgrace!I'm a Canadian living in Australia for the past 35 years. We are self-employed and hadn't had a holiday from work for 5 years and feeling really burnt out. It was always on my bucket list to travel across Canada by train. So we booked 12 months in advance and it was to be the highlight of our 6 weeks trip away - sit back, enjoy the scenery and ambience of the trip, read books and have good meals. Well I wish I had read these reviews beforehand otherwise I wouldn't have bothered booking. The trip was a total disappointment, When we boarded in Toronto, we were told we were very lucky that it was on time and that was at 10:30PM! We had a 2-berth cabin which was tiny and cramped. No room for bags and you could not stand There was a toilet in the room and that stopped working half way through the trip so that had to be fixed. We asked for the bunks to be kept down so that we could go back to the cabin if we wanted to have a lie down during the day at any time. Otherwise, there were two old club chairs that were dragged out from under the bunks to be our seating. These weren't any different to the rest of the seating in the train. The whole train was old and tired looking other than the elite cabins which you paid double for and we had already paid $4500 CAD for a one-way trip as it was! Apparently the train had been refurbished but we couldn't see it. We couldn't complain about the food, it was nice but did not enjoy having to sit with different people each meal and make light conversation hearing other peoples' life stories over and over in the back ground each day. Luckily we were able to dodge a couple that we definitely did not want to sit with at all! The so-called air conditioning in our room was an old fan and quite noisy to sleep. The dome car provided great views but it was cold as they persisted in having the air conditioning on when it was cloudy, rainy days. You literally had to wear your coat up there to be able to sit there for any time. Despite complaints, they did not change anything. The staff between Toronto and Winnipeg was great but when there was a changeover in Winnipeg, then the whole customer service went out the door. The freight trains were given preference on the tracks so there were so many stops along the way. This was so frustrating as were really looking forward to seeing Jasper in all it's glory but it was the middle of the night when we stopped there and we were fast asleep. It was not surprising that we were 13 hours late getting into Vancouver. When we thought we would have the whole day ahead of us getting in at 7am, it was not until after midnight before we left the train station. Luckily we had a nephew who was flexible to pick us up but for other people who had other commitments, there was not acceptable. I agree with other reviews that ViaRail needs to lift it's act as this is a disgrace especially for international visitors - I'm sure they would expect a lot more for their dollars. The trip seems to be more for tourists but it was not catered for in this way. The places they decided to stop at where not inviting and not long enough. Obviously they had to change this along the way as they were later and later and had to shorten the time at the stops.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/18 16:24 by Streamliner.

Date: 12/02/18 16:38
Author: Jimblaze

Upon further review...    ...as a rail economist, I conclude that a 29% DROP in The Canadian passenger volume is statistically pretty significant.

it is a clear sign that customer confidence in the extremly poor service arrival performance of the once premier train has dropped.

Date: 12/02/18 20:51
Author: thehighwayman

Streamliner Wrote:
> riding The Canadian, I’m happy for you.  For
> myself, I’ve got a huge bone to pick with VIA
> and I won’t give up being a thorn in their side
> until they refund my money.  Cheers!

THEN TAKE IT UP WITH VIA ..... NOT THE REST OF US ON TRAINORDERS.
YES!!!  I AM YELLING!
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF YOUR CHILDISH TANTRUMS.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 12/02/18 21:13

thehighwayman Wrote:
> Streamliner Wrote:
> > riding The Canadian, I’m happy for you.  For
> > myself, I’ve got a huge bone to pick with VIA
> > and I won’t give up being a thorn in their
> side
> > until they refund my money.  Cheers!
>
> THEN TAKE IT UP WITH VIA ..... NOT THE REST OF US
> ON TRAINORDERS.
> YES!!!  I AM YELLING!
> ENOUGH IS ENOUGH OF YOUR CHILDISH TANTRUMS.

Hey Will, how are ya?
Come on now.  This forum is for the polite exchanging of thoughts and ideas.  You don’t agree with me and I don’t agree with you, but “YELLING” online?  That’s not very nice, Will.

Date: 12/03/18 06:10

Jimblaze Wrote:
> Upon further review...    ...as a rail
> economist, I conclude that a 29% DROP in The
> Canadian passenger volume is statistically pretty
> significant.
>
> it is a clear sign that customer confidence in the
> extremly poor service arrival performance of the
> once premier train has dropped.

Indeed it is significant. VIA does not break down the passenger totals between Economy and Sleeper. VIA has admitted the passenger totals for 2017 were significantly higher  than 2016 because of the Canada 150 deal for young people. I saw one summer consist that had seven coaches instead of the usual two and an extra dining car. If we compare the drop in passenger numbers between the third quarter of this year and 2016 it is about 11%. This is still a major concern to VIA, but it puts it in perspective.

With the reduction of peak-season frequency starting in April 2019 the passenger load numbers will not recover. No doubt VIA hopes the lengthened schedule will please tour operators because of improved reliability. The Canadian can still run late but since the new schedule this July arrivals in both Toronto and Vancouver are often two hours early.

A few statistics from the VIA Third Quarter reports:

Year.....Revenue (in millions $)...Passengers (in thousands)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/18 06:20 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 12/03/18 08:08
Author: Lackawanna484

Did I miss the into about what percentage of The Canadian's ridershp is tour group passengers?   How is that trend line holding up??

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1288 seconds