Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Canadian Railroads > Winnipeg to Churchill - Itinerary Suggestions?

Date: 12/09/18 13:34
Winnipeg to Churchill - Itinerary Suggestions?
Author: yorknl

Hi.  I've ridden every overnight train currently operating on the Amtrak and VIA networks except the Winnipeg-Churchill train and now that it's running again, I'd like to get that mileage just in case the next washouts are permanent.  Can anyone offer some guidance on a couple of points?

The updated VIA timetable shows Winnipeg departures on Tuesdays and Sundays, arriving in Churchill Thursdays and Tuesdays.  Southbound trips depart Churchill Thursdays and Saturdays, back in Winnipeg Saturdays and Mondays.  In theory this means one could take the Tuesday departure from WPG and do a same-day turn in Churchill two days later; does anyone know if that inbound trainset turns for the evening departure or - more likely to me - it's the equipment that arrived in Churchill Tuesday that becomes the Thursday outbound train?  If the latter it means that a traveler on a late inbound train could miss the outbound departure and then be in town for two days with no accommodations.

If one were to plan to spend the obvious two night interval in Churchill instead, is there much to be done or seen in if visiting outside polar-bear season?  The bears would of course be fascinating to see but I'm not sure if that's enough of an attraction to justify the time spent in freezing darkness. But I'm not sure two days in a small town without bears sounds that exciting either and so I wonder if flying one way makes more sense.

Thoughts appreciated!

Date: 12/09/18 15:52
Re: Winnipeg to Churchill - Itinerary Suggestions?
Author: DJ-12

Speaking just for myself, why go all the way up there just to turn around and come home? I’d definitely find enough to do in 2 days in someplace at the end of the earth.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/09/18 17:29
Author: TCnR

Churchill is known for polar bears when they move from the land to the frozen water, they hang around for a while waiting for strong ice but they don't routinely hang around the area, except for the garbage dump. Churchill is also well known for watching the Northern Lights, which are somewhat seasonal as well.

There are tour groups and guides available to make the best of either or both attractions. I suspect they are not cheap though.

I have heard it's common for the less mileage-adventurous to fly one way and train the other. Connecting the four ideas together would probably make for a great adventure.

Date: 12/09/18 17:30
Author: renf

My wife and I have taken the train to Churchill and back to Winnepeg two times.  There certainly is enough to keep you well
occupied in Churchill for a couple of days,  It sure is worth the slow trip if you have the time.

Date: 12/09/18 17:34
Author: eminence_grise

I think many go by train one way, and fly the other way.

Decades ago, I rode the train both ways, arriving and leaving Churchill on the same day. It wasn't polar bear season however, and probably the schedule was different.

I had an upper berth, and the fellow passengers were friendly, however the train was and is very slow with just northern scrub forests to watch moving by hour after hour.

A good book, or video games to keep yourself amused, plus good company could make the journey go faster.

Given a choice now, I would fly one way.

Date: 12/09/18 19:01
Author: tq-07fan

My plan, at least before the train was annulled, I would ride up to Churchill arriving on Thursday morning. Saturday morning Id fly to Ranklin Inlet in Nunavut to spend the Saturday night and Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon fly to Yellowknife for a couple days to get two of the three Canadian Territories. From Yellowknife you can fly to Edmonton and from there you have various options. Now that the trains are back I have figure out when I can make this happen.

I've visited and rode transit buses in all ten Canadian Provinces thus the reason for visiting the territories. No buses in Nunavut at this time, it would be solely for sake of visiting Nunavut.

Jim 

Date: 12/10/18 03:10
Author: andersonb109

I did the trip up and back with no overnight in Churchill years ago. I found Churchill to be very cold and boring. But it wasn't bear season. I booked what was supposed to be an all day room but it ended up being only a "few hours room" as CN derailed the van on a freight just ahead of us making for a lengthy delay. If I did it again, I'd fly one day assuming normal aircraft (you know, the ones without props) provide the service. 

Date: 12/10/18 03:40
Author: Ray_Murphy

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...assuming normal aircraft (you know,
> the ones without props) provide the service. 

That's a wierd comment. I work at a location under the approach to 24L at Dorval (YUL) and see all kinds of normal turboprop aircraft.

Ray   

Date: 12/10/18 08:30
Author: PHall

andersonb109 Wrote:
> If I did it again, I'd fly one day assuming normal aircraft (you know,
> the ones without props) provide the service. 

You know, even your much beloved Delta Airlines flies turboprop aircraft.
They're simply much more efficient on short haul runs.

Date: 12/10/18 09:11
Author: SP4360

But they don't have that much coveted Delta 1 section. No Caviar and smoked Salmon on those turbo props.

PHall Wrote:
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If I did it again, I'd fly one day assuming
> normal aircraft (you know,
> > the ones without props) provide the service. 
>
> You know, even your much beloved Delta Airlines
> flies turboprop aircraft.
> They're simply much more efficient on short haul
> runs.

Date: 12/10/18 09:13
Author: viatrainrider

Having made 20 round trips to Churchill on Trains 693 - 692 of of course I can say I find it very enjoyable.  These trains are right with Trains 1 - 2 as my favorites.  693 - 692 of course are very laid back slower trains than 1 - 2.  Friendly senior VIA crews, usually a non-Prestige Park car during busy season with coffee service but not bar service.  Good not very fancy food such as pot roast of beef, mashed potatoes.  Very informal adventurer type passengers going to the Far North.  I like it being a wonderful wilderness train ride.  And a throw back to 50's style railroading:  dark railroad north of The Pas, hand thrown switches, leaving the so called main line for four hours for a side trip into and out of Thompson, MB, north of Gillam being the only means of transportation.

To answer the above questions:  arriving morning train at Churchill leaves same evening.  A late arrival can mean a late departure that evening due to crew rest requirements.  Good lodging can be had at Polar Inn where VIA crew also stays.  Good food at Seaport Inn including Arctic Char.  Many in season tours available such as whale watching and bear tours.  Arctic Trading Post interesting as is museum run by the local Catholic church.  Going through  the Churchill center, a building housing the hospital, hockey rink, curling, and school interesting.  Great views of Hudson Bay from this building.  I rent a truck when there and do my own tours but many operators available for first timers.

I will be north again by fall 2019 now that train is running again.  However, I have done summer, fall, even winter at -40C!
Eliot

Date: 12/10/18 09:14
Author: jp1822

Is there anything other than prop planes going in and out of Churchill? Even out of Prince Rupert - I think it was all prop planes - Air Canada and another airline (which I think has morphed into something else now). 

Is there any WiFi or internet service in Churchill itself? 

I too would likely take the train up to Churchill and then fly back, but take a two day full stay in Churchill. Either go out and see what there is to see (e.g. Polar Bears, whales, whatever), or just explore the area to the best possible. Northern light viewing center at night I believe. Some local stores and shops for some entertainment during the day........Certainly no 5 star lodging, but just to get away and use the trip as a way to relax and leave behind the electronic devices that drive me nuts most of the day - good therapy to have a break. 

At the same token, I hope VIA is able to maintain the running of two Park Cars (one for each consist) on the train from Winnipeg to Churchill, just as a way to provide an extra place to go while onboard if taking a sleeper (sleeper space, dining car, Park Car). Concerning is that I don't think that the Dining Car is offering freshly prepared cooked meals onboard 12 months out of the year - only during their peak periods. That's a disappointment, but certainly an economic one that likely makes most sense. 

If the train consists couldn't take on a full diner, a Skyline Dome car that has a grill would also fill the void. Although VIA is tight on these cars too as most are reserved for use on the Canadian. 

Date: 12/10/18 18:25
Author: viatrainrider

Addition to my post of this AM above:

Believe I saw prop planes when I dropped someone at airport.

There is WIFI and Internet at Polar Inn where I stay and at Seaport.  Polar Inn is good with continental breakfast including waffles.  Stuff that you would find anywhere else.  Nice rooms some with kitchen equipment.  Also many channels of TV which include for reasons I have never understood, two Detroit stations!  Also there is an interesting public library in the Churchill center with computers available for use for Internet.  Also there is a book or two there on Churchill history.

I always do the train up, two nights there and train back to WPG.  Food on train was micro stuff during off season.  After all, I have been one of only two or three people on  the Chateau sleeper off season so micro is the food offering.  If on time northbound at Thompson, I go into town for lunch at Boston Pizza.  But usually, I aim for the so called high season in summer and fall when there is full service chef cooked food.

In addition to what I mentioned in above (in a hurry) there is a wonderful Parks Canada office and display in the station.  Staff will run videos on local stuff and will do tours at Cape Merry northwest of town with a person who has a high powered rifle in the event a polar bear happens by!  In addition, they will provide all forms of information on the local area.

Will do trip 21 next fall!

Finally, I believe I was  told that Peter Mansbridge of CBC fame started his career in Churchill.  Maybe someone can confirm that.

Date: 12/10/18 20:32
Author: thehighwayman

viatrainrider Wrote:

> some with kitchen equipment.  Also many channels
> of TV which include for reasons I have never
> understood, two Detroit stations!  Also there is

I live in a rural area of Hamilton, If we want American HD channels on cable, we get Detroit, even though Buffalo is only about 50 miles from us. We do get Buffalo stations, but only in SD.
Churchill is probably getting the same HD feeds as we do.

As for Peter Mansbridge .... this is straight from Wikipedia:

Mansbridge worked as a ticket agent for Transair at Churchill Airport in ChurchillManitoba. In 1968, Mansbridge was discovered by Gaston Charpentier, a station manager for the local Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) radio station CHFC, when he heard Mansbridge making a flight announcement. Charpentier hired the 19-year-old Mansbridge as the host of CHFC's late night music program.[7] In 1971, Mansbridge moved to Winnipeg to continue as a reporter for the CBW radio station and in the next year, he joined CBWT-TV as a reporter.

Will MacKenzie
Dundas, ON

Date: 12/10/18 22:00
Author: yorknl

Thanks to everyone who posted in response to my question! 

I'm totally cool with the slow ride on the route; a window, books, and my ipod are all it takes to keep entertained for days.  I'll have to give some thought as to whether to book the train both ways or do a rail/air combination, but it sounds like Churchill is worth a day or two and that's helpful information. 

Date: 12/11/18 01:06
Author: ghCBNS

Here’s the Arrivals/Departures at Churchill airport (you’ll have to refresh as it continually updates)

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/CYYQ

First Air operates B737’s to/fm Winnipeg

https://firstair.ca/about/our-fleet/

Calm Air operates turboprop ATR’s which are similar to a Bombardier Dash8 or Q400

https://www.calmair.com/aircraft/

thehighwayman Wrote:
> I live in a rural area of Hamilton, If we want
> American HD channels on cable, we get Detroit,
> even though Buffalo is only about 50 miles....

I’m in the Maritimes and have Shaw....my US network stations are out of Detroit and I also get the US stations from Seattle. If I had Bell it would be Boston and Seattle.

Date: 12/11/18 10:27
Author: TCnR

Great info. See you there.

Date: 12/20/18 17:38
Author: wzd

When is the best time to go to avoid the black flies?

Date: 12/22/18 14:35
Author: rugbug48

About 11 years ago, my college roommate and I did a round trip to Churchill.  As i recall, it was late October and too early for the bears.   We did take a ride in the "bear buggies".   We also toured Fort Prince of Wales and then watched begula whales up close from our boat

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1088 seconds